Canon 5D MK2 problems with chip?!

Alex Fuchs

Hi,

I have a problem with the 5D (Firmware 1.1.0). I mounted a Kipon-adaptor for FD Lenses (no AF and no f-stop-control) on the cam (it works fine) and it seems, that the cam push the f-stop automatically when I film against lights etc. Anybody an idea how this can be? Does the chip automatically blend up and down? I have no idea, but it sucks...

Thanks

Alex

• Premium Member

Hit the latch (*) button after turning over, and it'll lock the exposure to whatever it is at the time. When you're in this mode, an asterisk (*) appears on the LCD. It's one of the smaller round buttons in the lower right area of the camera's back surface.

Reportedly, a new firmware for the 5D allows fully manual control of aperture, shutter speed and F-stop in video mode, so you should look at that.

P

Hi Phil,

that's the solution for my problem. The asteriks don't appear on the LCD, but it works fine. Many thanks for sharing this information. I've the latest firmware installed, but I'm using FD lenses (no auto focus and f-stop control) with the Kipon adapter, so I can't really say, if this options work with EF lenses, but it seems so, there are some menu options for that.

Cheers,

Alex

• Premium Member

The LCD display will display different things depending what mode you're in.

With a non-servo lens it should still behave in broadly the same way. What mode do you have the camera in? In full manual it should be as I described, but of course, if you put it in shutter or aperture priority, it'll automate that function.

P

Hi Phil,

you are absolutly right: The asteriks is shown on the LCD while filming when you push the info button, too. I'm shooting always in M(anual) mode. I have disabled all shutter, aperture functions. I'm going to test this technical beauty next week, because I'm going to shoot some music videos with the cam. As I already wrote I own the camera now for at least three days. Maybe I should read the user manual a second time. :-) If you are interested in the latest firmware update (1.1.0) and the new functions have a look here: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eo...2/firmware.html

Cheers,

Alex

• Premium Member

Is it one of those "chip" adaptors? Try taping the adaptor ring with thin scotch tape (or as we say in german: tesafilm) on the place where the contacts at the mount are. The electronics could act strange because of false readouts or short circuit of the lens control. I work with cirrus and novoflex and both works with firmware 1.1 but i had serious problems with 1.0.7.

Good luck.