Krasnagorsk K3 - is it really worth it?

Ansis Imaks

First excuse me for my English, not my first language.

I have experience with video cameras (I own DSR-PD170, have worked with various JVC ProHDs and some more), but not film. I'm more of a directors that dop / operator. Reason is to study / learn film as I have some ideas I would like to make more serious than video camera would do.

I have a chance to get working Krasnogorsk K3 very cheap. M42 mount and standard lens.

I was google'ing but haven't found any decent demo form what I could judge picture, or really compressed or poorly processed film. Knowing that this is not a pro camera, and can't compare with arri or others, is it really worth? or practise with video / digital cinema / stil film cameras and then get arri or some other more serious camera.

+

*) cheap, but good optics, as I'm living in post Soviet Union country I can get very good lenses.

*) simple camera

*) price

-

*) for sure not as good as pro 16mm cameras

*) 16mm and not that good for making S16 out of it (yet possible)

*) spring wind. (this is one place where I could rebuild it as I'm in electronics and mechanics)

any tips or suggestions?

thank you!

• Premium Member

If it isn't Super16 already i'd rather go with a Bolex or a ArriSt - both of them can be had for about 500 US$ on the bay now.

If you only want to try out some filming a Kras and it costs close to nothing it though may be fun to play with. I heard that the loop formers often scratch film so you better get rid of them right away. Good luck.

• Premium Member

Fine camera to learn film and figure out if its for you. Plenty of m42 mount lenses out there. You may find that you need a motor and get tired of winding that thing quickly.

But good to learn on since everything can be manual.

First excuse me for my English, not my first language.

I have experience with video cameras (I own DSR-PD170, have worked with various JVC ProHDs and some more), but not film. I'm more of a directors that dop / operator. Reason is to study / learn film as I have some ideas I would like to make more serious than video camera would do.

I have a chance to get working Krasnogorsk K3 very cheap. M42 mount and standard lens.

I was google'ing but haven't found any decent demo form what I could judge picture, or really compressed or poorly processed film. Knowing that this is not a pro camera, and can't compare with arri or others, is it really worth? or practise with video / digital cinema / stil film cameras and then get arri or some other more serious camera.

+

*) cheap, but good optics, as I'm living in post Soviet Union country I can get very good lenses.

*) simple camera

*) price

-

*) for sure not as good as pro 16mm cameras

*) 16mm and not that good for making S16 out of it (yet possible)

*) spring wind. (this is one place where I could rebuild it as I'm in electronics and mechanics)

any tips or suggestions?

thank you!

Если хотите, можете писать мне по Русски.

Идея снимать на 16 мм пленку - хорошая идея.

Красногорск-3 - хорошая камера, но для любителя и не больше.

В Советское время Красногорск-3 позиционировалась именно как кинокамера для опытных любителей.

Снимать ней можно, но нужно быть готовым к тому, что качество материала будет как для любительской камеры.

Очень многие операторы прошли через Красногорск-3 и это была их первая 16 мм кинокамера.

Хотите что-то получше и посерьезней- советую искать Кинор-16 СХ-2М.

К слову, Красногорск-3, в Советские времена стоял около 600 рублей, Кинор-16 - около 10000 рублей. Почувствуйте разницу.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your posts!

и спосибо!

wrapping up Krasnogosk k3 seams o be ok for my needs, and especially for the price I get can get it, so I will!

Hopefully I'll learn film as one more creative tool in my disposal and when I have chance - move to more sophisticated camera with crystal sync, decent high speed, etc.

You probably know, sellers of used and old equipment sometimes may surprise you. often in bad way, but i had an exception.

For the price (witch is about 40$ US) I got two Krasnogorsk K3 cameras and bunch of accessories, Cameras are not in mint condition, but both run. Seller told that they were used if some sort of technical school, but not really been useful (even in soviet times) and were about to be thrown out. Teacher just took them as maybe someday will be useful but then decided to sell. One of the nice accessories is FED macro adapter, bad thing is that Zoom lens has had a traumatic experience as seen on one side and i can see that in some small spots the glued glass have separated, defects ar not big, and not that well noticeable trough viewfinder. but still I would not use the lance anyway. one of the cameras had missing lens but this is not a problem as I anyway want to use still camera primes which some I have and I can easily obtain. but I even got original manual and warranty card (sad, not that useful tough ;).

I'll clean, and service them, before I run some new film trough.

I hope this is a nice start of journey in the film cinematography.

than you for your answers and for sure when I'll have questions I will ask them.

• 7 years later...

I actually love the K-3. If your just beginning with Film its a good one, you can score it for 100 bucks. Can use cheap but good lenses that you can buy on ebay or even photography stores.

I have a k-3 which the gate is being modified right now to super 16. It uses the M42 mount. The only K-3 I would buy. Not the other mount. I happen to have a Yashica 35mm camera and tons of lenses. So I'm already set.

We shot a short, narrative with Dialogue...yes with sound and everything. And I wasn't happy with the lens it came with, however the camera performed very well. Note, if your K-3 is converted to super 16, you have to use the 35mm lenses, Otherwise when you zoom out on the stock lens you well get vignetting to one side.

. I also am going to have the loop formers removed because it did scratch just a little.

We decided to shoot some rolls through to test the camera anyway, why not shoot a short film and see what it can do. If you check you tube, "easy money sean delgatto" You'll see it. Might give ya some sort of an idea of what to expect. the rest is how fresh the film stock is, proper exposure, and well really getting to know working with film.

I am also looking into the anamorphic adapter so I can then get 2.39 aspect. The next project shall be very exciting!

Anyway hope it helps.

I've been trying to find Narratives shot with a K-3 and can't seem to find it.

Edited by Sean DelGatto

• 2 months later...