P2/Panasonic HVX200A DVCPRO HD important tips

ALWAYS back your footage up in 2 or 3 places. Just putting it on one hard drive is asking for trouble. Also, it helps to do a quick check of the footage in FCP or whatever editing program you use. With FCP the added bonus is that this allows you to log and transfer the footage as you go which saves some time for the editor and also allows you to make sure none of your files are corrupt.

I try to have enough P2 cards so that I don't have to format them until my footage is double backed up and has been quickly checked over in FCP. Also, maybe a paranoid thing, but I try not to fill the cards to capacity. I leave 2 or 3 minutes on them if possible. Again, maybe a paranoid thing but I know I've had problems with other types of storage mediums that are filled to capacity.

Regarding the camera, I had great results in harsh daylight exteriors with gamma CINELIKE D, and then grading a little in post. Working with gamma HDNORM is quite challenging in bright sunlight (and clipped highlights looks REALLY ugly). Keep an eye in your 100% zebra...

Use a pola and ND grads if you can.

If you´re in low light interior/night you could swich to HIGH gamma.

I used slow motion a lot, so instead of entering the menu each time I wanted to change the frame rate, I copied the settings of the camera in a different preset (in the back wheel). So I labeled CINE1 the first position, copied the setting to the second position, but with a frame rate of 50 (we´re PAL based). Labeled CINE1SL or something. You could switch frame rates just turning the wheel...

We used a P2 Store and P2 viewer for PC last time for backups. You have to manually set all the partitions of the P2 Store as "virtual P2", so you can see them and download to the PC. The person in charge didn´t set all the partitions and didn´t copy all the shots... :(

If you don´t set them all, some footage keeps hiden when you select "view all virtual P2", so he thought he had copied all...

Good luck with your shooting!

Check if this is in english

http://www2.alfonsoparra.com/php/baul/Test...00%20camera.pdf

If not search "Alfonso Parra" and "HVX200". He is a spanish DP with a lot of experience in HD/electronic cinematography.

Best regards

Alejandro