thinking of buying a Bolex but...

Daniel Maestas

I'm not sure its worth the trouble. I was thinking about buying a Bolex h16 Reflex camera to start me off on making shorts, but then i saw it only accepts 100ft cans of film. So I was thinking that its going to take a ton of film to do anything substantial. I was wondering if its a big problem to have to deal with 20 canisters of film per short, or is it not that big of a deal.

,Daniel

• Premium Member

Since thousands of filmmakers have been loading their Bolex with hundred-footers I'd say you can do the same and humbly file out your dexterity with film and camera. There is nothing more ascertaining than to know that everything is properly done. In this respect a Bolex is already almost too automatic. Simply don't forget that you have the right on 4000 frames with one hundred feet. Stop shooting when the counter says 4000, close the camera and let run out.

• 2 months later...
Some Bolex cameras accept 400' mags, for example, I have an EBM. Not sure which other models do. It really depends on how long of takes you are planning on doing as to whether it is going to interfere with the "momentum" of your shoot.

With the 100' models we have usually been on shoots with 2 or three of them, there's always one ready that way... It doesn't take long to load one, its all the logging and keeping track of them that takes the time...

400' mag = EBM, EL, RX5, SBM, some of those security style and 'coaches assistant' non-reflex models and the occasional home mod too

Edited by Chris Millar

With the 100' models we have usually been on shoots with 2 or three of them, there's always one ready that way... It doesn't take long to load one, its all the logging and keeping track of them that takes the time...

400' mag = EBM, EL, RX5, SBM, some of those security style and 'coaches assistant' non-reflex models and the occasional home mod too

Good post, Chris. Thanks.