Arriflex 16S stuff wanted

Annie Wengenroth

Guest Andy Sparaco

For Arri-S "Stuff"... ebay,ebay,ebay. You can't get a deal from any of the "usual suspects" because all of the Arri-S stuff thay have is valued as if it was worth something. Arri-S equipment has now sunk into to the realm of an anachronism. Don't get me wrong I have one, I use it commercially, I had it updated but the reality is that interms of professional equipment it's value know is like a Bolex.

ebay,ebay,ebay.

Yeah, I've been looking on ebay religiously but also looking at a bunch of battery sites including the link in this topic. There is a whole new thread about this on the 16mm board actually!

I would like to get a matte box for this camera so I'm keeping my eyes peeled. (on ebay of course...)

• Premium Member

Hi,

You don't need to spend a huge amount of money on batteries. I don't know what the Arri S draws current-wise, but of course on a film camera you have the cardinal advantage that when it's not running it's not consuming any power and the viewfinder doesn't draw any current at all!

NiCd batteries are most often reccomended, and they don't need to cost a fortune. Do buy a proper charger, though - people scare me with their car battery chargers.

Phil

Right on Phil.

About owning one's personal equipment, I don't plan to go overboard but I guess in a lot of ways I consider filmmaking to be a hobby as well as a potential income source. So in that respect I'm always interested in the gear. It runs in the family, actually...my dad and grandfather are both photographers and I think we have enough lenses to open our own rental house! :lol:

Stills are my hobby and I do own a few nice camera and lenses. What I mean about owning your own gear is that there is a risk, if you work outthere, to be pigeonholed as the DP who comes with the camera package. Before you know it, people will be calling you to save money on their projects, not becase of your lighting.

Oh yeah, that's true, I didn't really think of it that way. Well, I posted about this camera in the 16mm thread. I got it today so I had a few questions about the eyepiece options and also serial number. I think mine might be a really old one but I don't know. My dad is insisting that I might not need to have it overhauled but I feel like it would probably be in my best interest, because then I would know for sure that everything is working like it's supposed to.

Hey wait, if people are calling to save money on their projects, I'll just charge em more until they *have* to hire me for my skills! :lol: