Chimera vs Photoflex

Ok, so I am a big fan of the various chimera products.

At the school that I attend, we also have some photoflex softboxes that are generally used in conjunction with photostrobes. Now, the photoflex are obviously of a lower quality, but i was wondering if there is any major difference between them? Specifically, if I were to attach the photoflext softboxes to a hotlight, would there be any danger of fire or melting?

-Drew Dale

Since you mentioned that your school's softboxes are primarily used with strobes, they are likely built for that purpose. A hotlight will burn a hole in the front diffusion at the very least, probably pretty quickly.

Edited by Ross Neugeboren

If the Photoflex boxes are Lightdomes they are only for strobes. The Silverdomes & Cinedomes are made for hot lights and work well.

The Chimera softboxes seem to be tougher but if you're not hiring them out and you look after your gear this isn't an issue. Chimera also offer different levels of front diffusion - I've got a couple of 1/2 strength Chimera screens that I use on my Photoflex Silverdomes.

• 3 months later...
Ok, so I am a big fan of the various chimera products.

At the school that I attend, we also have some photoflex softboxes that are generally used in conjunction with photostrobes. Now, the photoflex are obviously of a lower quality, but i was wondering if there is any major difference between them? Specifically, if I were to attach the photoflext softboxes to a hotlight, would there be any danger of fire or melting?

-Drew Dale

Well "inferior" is debatable...I own both Chimeras and Photoflex and I like the Photoflex silverdomes very much.

As a matter of fact the Photoflex Starlite fixture with a Silverdome and a 1000W JT globe can

give you a very delicate light, extreme soft and very warm.