Hi there, I'm studying to be a film director and I'm halfway through my degree.

In most of my projects I'm getting feedback saying work on your pacing.

I was told to listen to classical music and i have found that to help but I'm still looking to keep improving.

Does anyone have anything else that they could suggest to help improve on my pacing?

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of a vague question because it could mean pacing of the script's story, pacing of the character's emotion, or pacing of the cuts in the edit room. All three contribute to the dynamics of a film

As far as editing, I just read through In The Blink Of An Eye by Walter Murch, so suggesting the book is still fresh in my mind.

Edited by Angelo Lorenzo

• Premium Member

I think you have to ask yourself who is giving you this feedback and what their level of experience/your respect for them (on what they're criting you on). But I think a great way to learn pace, aside from just listening to music, is watching films and perhaps people. Look at how people act and interact in different situations (if you happen upon a couple fighting all the better! what a great thing to watch for pacing of emotions). Just my 2 c.

The pacing (flow, tempo, etc) relates to the telling of the story. If I was to sit down and tell the story of my day, I could probably sum it up in "went to work, did some work, showed my work in dailies, they liked it, I went home" - but that wouldn't be a very interesting story. If I was telling that story and I wanted to make it interesting I'd pace myself, I'd create tension, suspense, humour, excitement - I'd do that through the way that I speak (quietly, loud, silly, accents) or through body language (facial expressions, hand movements, posture). The way we tell a story through film is very similar - we use sound and we use visuals.

Anyway, my point is to consider how you would tell the story if you had to tell it in person to someone else. Then think about how that relates to the telling of the same story through film.