Quick question about green screen,

When the green screen is just going to be switched with solid colors do you have to light the screen differently? For instance if your going to put a white background in do you have to blow out the green as you would for a white cyc limbo effect? I assume you just light the screen evenly as you would and it would just be replaced with a solid white background.

Also the gradient effect that is popular in rap videos where the back of the cyc has a circular hot spot and than gradually falls off. Can this be accomplished with green screen? (though now it will be unevenly lit with the center being hot.) And whats the best type of light to do this effect? A leko? Maybe a Par Can (may be to much).

Cheers

HI Carl,

I would light the green screen with the goal of getting a good key out of it and nothing else. Once you get (or pull) a good key you canput anything you want behind the subject.

Just make sure you light it evenly, flatly, and keep the subject the point of focus.

Good luck,

Tom

THanks for the advice. I also read to light the screen a 1 stop under then your key on main subjects. Why is this?

It helps to separate the background from the subject. I have seen an equal lit subject and green screen start to tear away parts of the subject in keying.