P2 file playback on a G4 PowerMac powerbook without Final Cut Pro?

Dan Salzmann

Situation is that I am on a shoot where someone needs to look at footage shot on P2 and backed up on a hard drive using a PowerMac powerbook that does not have Final Cut Pro.

is it possible to do this with some kind of downloadable software that can be used to view the footage?

Situation is that I am on a shoot where someone needs to look at footage shot on P2 and backed up on a hard drive using a PowerMac powerbook that does not have Final Cut Pro.

is it possible to do this with some kind of downloadable software that can be used to view the footage?

I'm guessing you will need to install quicktime codecs for DVCProHD assuming that is what you are shooting with the camera.

It depends on the codec really P2 is just the memory card but it can store multiple codecs.

Panasonic's P2CMS program (P2 Contents Management Software) is the piece of software you are looking for. It can be freely downloaded from Panasonic's website at this URL: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/sup.../e/download.htm

Although both the web page and the installer now claim that the software will only run on an Intel Mac, I have personally tested the software on a G5 to insure that it does run on the PowerPC chipset, and can be used to view material shot in DVCPROHD. The Intel only warnings, in all likelihood, are only in regards to AVC-I support / playback.

Good luck!

-Denis

Edited by Denis Warburton