Soft light with fluorescents

Hello.

I´m preparing out an indie short (not defined if HD or 16mm). I´m trying to be as efficient and practical as I can with the lighting package. In some day interiors I figured out to use a frame with some diffusion (silk?) in a window exterior and light through it with an HMI for a soft but powerfull source, but it´s expensive for our budget.

Will I get the same effect if I just use a “wall” of fluorescent tubes (like an arrange of 3x3 or 4x2 fixtures? The combination that matches the HMI through silk regarding light output). May be with a light diffusion to blend them all?

I feel may be I don´t get the same “punch”.

Sometimes I hear complains about how the fluorescent renders. Or is this regarding colour rendition over HMI and tungsten?

Thank you

Alejandro

Hello.

I´m preparing out an indie short (not defined if HD or 16mm). I´m trying to be as efficient and practical as I can with the lighting package. In some day interiors I figured out to use a frame with some diffusion (silk?) in a window exterior and light through it with an HMI for a soft but powerfull source, but it´s expensive for our budget.

Will I get the same effect if I just use a “wall” of fluorescent tubes (like an arrange of 3x3 or 4x2 fixtures? The combination that matches the HMI through silk regarding light output). May be with a light diffusion to blend them all?

I feel may be I don´t get the same “punch”.

Sometimes I hear complains about how the fluorescent renders. Or is this regarding colour rendition over HMI and tungsten?

Thank you

Alejandro

The Image 80,s knock out quite a bit of light,and pretty easy to put 2 or 3 together through a thin silk.I guess it depends the throw you need.. if you were thinking an 18k HMI it wont have the same punch.. :)

The Image 80,s knock out quite a bit of light,and pretty easy to put 2 or 3 together through a thin silk.I guess it depends the throw you need.. if you were thinking an 18k HMI it wont have the same punch.. :)

Thank you!

I was thinking in a couple o small 1.2 or a 2.5K. I´m not fighting direct sunlight as the interiors are

pretty dark.

So the main difference will be the reach of the light? Assuming I´m getting the same output from the two different sources.

Best regards

Alejandro

Thank you!

I was thinking in a couple o small 1.2 or a 2.5K. I´m not fighting direct sunlight as the interiors are

pretty dark.

So the main difference will be the reach of the light? Assuming I´m getting the same output from the two different sources.

Best regards

Alejandro

With these size HMI,s I dont think too much difference in throw,once they are softened right down with silks screens.I guess less flexibility as the Kino,s are only soft lights.. but if thats what you need then its fine.

Other thing is the kino,s will use less power,and if space is an aspect they will take up way less room,and they run cool.They have an egg crate thats helps with spill to some extent ..

With these size HMI,s I dont think too much difference in throw,once they are softened right down with silks screens.I guess less flexibility as the Kino,s are only soft lights.. but if thats what you need then its fine.

Other thing is the kino,s will use less power,and if space is an aspect they will take up way less room,and they run cool.They have an egg crate thats helps with spill to some extent ..

Thanks a lot...I will start my homework with the location plans.

Best regards

• 1 month later...
Good luck with the shoot

Thank you!

Finally shot:

The flourescents worked quite well. Although the budget was low, thats why the tubes only, I found them usefull (and efficient regarding power comsumption) to get a simulated soft window source.

We arranged three banks of 4 tubes each properly flagged (two 1.2m, 4 feet, and one 0.6m, 2 feet) enough to get around f2.8 in a EX-1 with a RedRock Encore and Nikon 50mm set at 1.4, shooting 720p (not as sharp but noticeably more sensivity than 1080p) at a distance of 6m more or less.

Used some other tubes for another small "window" and 2K fresnels with CTB for "touchs".

Thank you

Alejandro