Creating your own aspect ratio?

Patrick Cooper

I’m assuming that with many of the better NLE programs, you can alter the aspect ratio by adding black borders on the top and bottom or sides etc. However, I’m wondering with any of these programs, can you custom design your own aspect ratio?

Ive got some DV footage which unfortunately recorded a little bit more information from the sides of the frame that could not bee seen in the LCD monitor when I was composing the shot. As a result, there is this very distracting green thing (possibly part of a watering can) that crept into the far left side of the frame. I’m guessing that some NLE programs would allow you to zoom into the frame but this would result in a loss of quality and also chop off the top and bottom of the frame. (I want the height to remain the same.) Is there any such software out there that lets you add vertical black borders on the left and right sides of the frame and also gives you precise control over varying the thickness of those borders?

• Premium Member

Viewers will tolerate small changes in reality. Depending on how much you have to chop out, you might get away with stretching the image to fill-in the cut-out frame space with varying degrees of quality loss. A little bit of this might not be noticeable.

• Premium Member

Ive got some DV footage which unfortunately recorded a little bit more information from the sides of the frame that could not bee seen in the LCD monitor when I was composing the shot. As a result, there is this very distracting green thing (possibly part of a watering can) that crept into the far left side of the frame. ...

Another approach would be to remove or make the object less distracting. Since it's at the edge of the frame, you probably don't need a perfect removal. Perhaps even color correcting it to tone down the green would suffice.

Avid has tools that could be used for removing, bluring or CCing it. As I have to believe does Final Cut.

Thanks guys. Stretching out the shot after cropping is an interesting idea...I hadn't considered that before. I would like to mask it somehow. Yes, Ive played that particular shot on a TV and the green is pretty much hidden from view with the 4:3 TV safe area. Though I do plan to post the footage on the internet where the distraction will be glaringly obvious. I mainly have access to low end NLE programs like WMM and Ulead which are pretty limiting in their capabilities though I wonder if Virtual Dub can do this. Ive also got a copy of Avid's free editing software which they released through the internet though i haven't used it yet.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hesLetBlext

There is plenty of blame to go around, but those at the top were more culpable because they should have known better. Plenty of them knew this was coming and profited from it.