"SHOWTIME" promo look

Greetings Cinematography community,

I'm shooting a promo this week for a local school video program and they asked for this specific look

As far as I can tell the majority of those shots are shot against muslin fabric with a strong backlight, maybe 2k or even 5k, couples with a frontal soft key, seeing as there are no shadows on the faces of the talent.

I see a number of lens flares as well. Perhaps there is a small tweenie or inkie off camera purposefully shooting into the lens?

It looks to me as if the key is a soft and toppy... there are minor shadows directly under their cheeks and jawline. I understand a large portion of this look could be created in post as well, including the lens flares, but I'd like to create it organically on set if possible.

Anyone care to clarify or correct my assumptions? Any comments or recognitions would be of great help

• 2 weeks later...

I would setup a large black backdrop (visaversa for white) then put a C stand behind the backdrop with a gobo arm going through a small opening with a 2k fresnel on spot with no barn doors mounted on the end via grip head. I would then fill (assuming its a wide shot) with 2-3 1k lights backed far away and diffused with Chimeras with egg crates for frontal fill. For the white background I would do the same setup for the black background except I would setup 2 6x6 silk frames and shoot a 1k or 2k through each one to light the white back drop.

Edited by steve laramie