Preparing footage for broadcast

Not really a cinematography question but I hope someone can help. I just completed a tv commercial shot in high def, how should I edit it? For NTSC I know 1080i and 720p is the standard, would my best bet be 720p straight and have a 1080i network just upsample during broadcast?

Also how do I know my video meets broadcast regulation as far as whitepoint, blackpoint, audio channel, max audio levels etc? Or is this something each network will normalize?

Would I have to give the video to a mastering house to do all these checks and transfer it to tape or do stations take submissions of computer files or dvd/blu-ray?

I've also heard various methods of inserting color bars and reference audio:

1. 60 seconds color bars and reference audio

2. 10 second black slug

3. Title Slate (how long?)

4. 10 second black slug

5. Video and audio material

I've only filmed stuff that's been on the web and dvd, so broadcast standards are totally new. Any help would be appreciated.

The Agency or Station will supply their requirements. Contact them. Their needs are the only one's that matter.

That becomes convoluted by the fact that it is going to be run nationally. Will I have to remain on call and supply different copies for each major station that will run the commercial?