Film budget sample

nick Avaliani

Hello movie fans

I am in need of sample budget for 10 million $ film,

I am student new to this kind of business, but very interested and motivated, can you provide me with the sample of film budget, especially I am interested in pre-production costs.

it is desirable genre to be action. or it's all the same,

thanks in advance

Hello movie fans

I am in need of sample budget for 10 million $ film,

I am student new to this kind of business, but very interested and motivated, can you provide me with the sample of film budget, especially I am interested in pre-production costs.

it is desirable genre to be action. or it's all the same,

thanks in advance

Well, budgets vary depending upon A LOT of factors. A LOT.

What you really need to know is A) your script breakdown for EVERY DEPARTMENT B ) a realistic production schedule based on an experienced First AD's one liner C) realistic above-the-line costs (ie, talent) and D) a realistic idea of what kind of financing you can realistically obtain.

You're not likely to have anyone fax you over a copy of their budget so I advise you look at the following:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=se...amp;x=0&y=0

and

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Litwak/e/B001K8...A6BDS1FTN35AQXA

and

http://www.amazon.com/What-Really-Want-Set...5862&sr=8-1 for a real idea of how a standard production day really goes

and

http://www.wordplayer.com for lots of information about the development process as it relates to the script (which is where is all begins, afterall!)

• 4 months later...

I recently created a website www.QuickFilmBudget.com to create professional customized budgets instantly. The website is targeted at writers, directors, producers and all filmmakers like yourself who have a project and need a budget but don't have the time to learn budgeting software or the money to pay an expensive UPM to create a budget.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

-Adam

Well, budgets vary depending upon A LOT of factors. A LOT.

What you really need to know is A) your script breakdown for EVERY DEPARTMENT B ) a realistic production schedule based on an experienced First AD's one liner C) realistic above-the-line costs (ie, talent) and D) a realistic idea of what kind of financing you can realistically obtain.

You're not likely to have anyone fax you over a copy of their budget so I advise you look at the following:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=se...amp;x=0&y=0

and

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Litwak/e/B001K8...A6BDS1FTN35AQXA

and

http://www.amazon.com/What-Really-Want-Set...5862&sr=8-1 for a real idea of how a standard production day really goes

and

http://www.wordplayer.com for lots of information about the development process as it relates to the script (which is where is all begins, afterall!)

• 4 weeks later...

In response to the argument that "You need a detailed script breakdown before you budget." I would say that this person is approaching film budgeting in the traditional way taught in film school where you first read a script, break it down by schedule and then determine the budget. However, today's market forces filmmakers to rely on their own salesmanship. For instance, if a recent film school grad wants to make a horror film, the current market determines that it should be made for a $1-2 million with no known actors or about $10 million dollars with known stars. This all assumes that the film is intended for domestic and foreign sales. ("Paranormal Activity" is a one in a million lottery winner.) Most indie films work backwards from an amount that investors are willing to give. To start the budget process by scheduling and breakdown is a dreamer's approach in today's indie world. Also, Quick Film Budget is a tool for getting started for the cost of $99 and not intended to be the actual shooting budget. The difference is that we admit that up front whereas UPM's (like the one who wrote this criticism) sell their budgets to filmmakers in need of a budget for a typical price of at least $1000 without clarifying that their budget is also a road map and a true shooting budget will have to be created-- When? After the total budget number is raised and the budget will have to "backed into that number".

The technology behind Quick Film Budget consists of tens of thousands of algorithms to reflect any kind of feature length film given any budget (at least $1 million). These algorithms are based off of real filmmaking experience (I have produced three feature length films), the examination of hundreds of film budgets to find the trends and relationships within a budget, and the application of calculus to derive the actual formulas and equations. The budgets do incorporate state rules, union and guild rates and fringes.

If you need a film budget, go to QuickFilmBudget.com to get a professional customized budget!

In response to the argument that "You need a detailed script breakdown before you budget." I would say that this person is approaching film budgeting in the traditional way taught in film school where you first read a script, break it down by schedule and then determine the budget. However, today's market forces filmmakers to rely on their own salesmanship. For instance, if a recent film school grad wants to make a horror film, the current market determines that it should be made for a $1-2 million with no known actors or about $10 million dollars with known stars. This all assumes that the film is intended for domestic and foreign sales. ("Paranormal Activity" is a one in a million lottery winner.) Most indie films work backwards from an amount that investors are willing to give. To start the budget process by scheduling and breakdown is a dreamer's approach in today's indie world. Also, Quick Film Budget is a tool for getting started for the cost of $99 and not intended to be the actual shooting budget. The difference is that we admit that up front whereas UPM's (like the one who wrote this criticism) sell their budgets to filmmakers in need of a budget for a typical price of at least $1000 without clarifying that their budget is also a road map and a true shooting budget will have to be created-- When? After the total budget number is raised and the budget will have to "backed into that number".

The technology behind Quick Film Budget consists of tens of thousands of algorithms to reflect any kind of feature length film given any budget (at least $1 million). These algorithms are based off of real filmmaking experience (I have produced three feature length films), the examination of hundreds of film budgets to find the trends and relationships within a budget, and the application of calculus to derive the actual formulas and equations. The budgets do incorporate state rules, union and guild rates and fringes.

If you need a film budget, go to QuickFilmBudget.com to get a professional customized budget!

It's all well and good to make your movie based on the financing that is available. But another way to say the same thing is "the movie you WANT to make will be impossible, so you have to agree to compromise on quality so that it fits into the financing you actually receive."

Regardless of that reality, it is still a great idea to follow "tradition" and break your "dream" script down to find out what it will take to complete it and then derive numbers based on the optimum situation. Rare is the "filmmaker" (Producers and Directors and every Department Head) who gets and unlimited budget to do the job 100% "right," so everyone goes in knowing that there will be compromises made along the way.

But to start out without an educated guesstimate of what the project SHOULD cost and settling on some pre-determined "market forces" number is creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. In other words, if you don't think you can get, say, $10 million that your breakdown suggests, then you'll never try to acquire that financing, so all you'll end up with is a measly $1 or $2 million that "algorithms" say you can only get.

Perhaps reality WILL keep the budget down to that low end once it's all said and done, but as a wise man said, if you reach for the middle, you'll get it every time. But I am reminded of a quote from the BILLION dollar Director, James Cameron, who said, "You have to cross the line to know where it is."

The movie TIN CUP's clear message was that if you play for par, you might be playing it safe and you could "win," but you'll always just be mediocre. But if you "go for it," you might "lose," but you could also hit a hole in one. If you never hit the ball hard enough, always laying up, then you'll never ever achieve greatness.

It's all well and good to make your movie based on the financing that is available. But another way to say the same thing is "the movie you WANT to make will be impossible, so you have to agree to compromise on quality so that it fits into the financing you actually receive."

Regardless of that reality, it is still a great idea to follow "tradition" and break your "dream" script down to find out what it will take to complete it and then derive numbers based on the optimum situation. Rare is the "filmmaker" (Producers and Directors and every Department Head) who gets and unlimited budget to do the job 100% "right," so everyone goes in knowing that there will be compromises made along the way.

But to start out without an educated guesstimate of what the project SHOULD cost and settling on some pre-determined "market forces" number is creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. In other words, if you don't think you can get, say, $10 million that your breakdown suggests, then you'll never try to acquire that financing, so all you'll end up with is a measly $1 or $2 million that "algorithms" say you can only get.

Perhaps reality WILL keep the budget down to that low end once it's all said and done, but as a wise man said, if you reach for the middle, you'll get it every time. But I am reminded of a quote from the BILLION dollar Director, James Cameron, who said, "You have to cross the line to know where it is."

The movie TIN CUP's clear message was that if you play for par, you might be playing it safe and you could "win," but you'll always just be mediocre. But if you "go for it," you might "lose," but you could also hit a hole in one. If you never hit the ball hard enough, always laying up, then you'll never ever achieve greatness.

tin cup, good example, i think for indie players, its good to take some "risks".

In QuickFilmBudget.com , the user inputs the budget total for his/her film. You don't have to settle at all! QuickFilmBudget.com tailors the budget to the filmmaker's specifications.

Basically, this tool empowers the filmmaker to create their desired budget by using this new technology. Check out the website-- we got our first testimonial!

• 1 month later...

Film budgets are relied upon to finance a film or television show. Quality film budgets require a line producer or unit production manager with years of experience to provide a reliable, accurate and proven budget and schedule. Misinformation on what the actual film costs are for a project can be catastrophic. Of course a script breakdown and schedule must be created to have any idea what it will take to make the film. A detailed shooting schedule determines all the necessary elements needed, how long they are needed for and the time to shoot. This drastically affects the quality of the film budget to skip this process.

Only a seasoned veteran line producer or upm has the experience and knowledge to provide accurate, reliable information. Filmbudget.com is the leader in worldwide film budget and schedule services, film tax incentives consultant and film production services.

Filmbudget.com

Edited by Jack Binder