need help with cheasy 80's shoot

I was hired as the DP for my friends personal project about a glam rock band from the 80's called Gato Blanco, He wants it to be as cheesy as we can make it; so that means as many 80's colored gels and high lighting scenarios as possible. My plan so far is to have mini lights placed in random locations with purple and green gels, maybe some orange and red ones too just to give it that super glam look, and whenever the band is outside, im going to have to Moon lights set-up. Does anyone else have any good ideas for lighting/camera work scenarios that will help to enhance the cheesiness?

thanks,

• Premium Member

Check out Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler and Head over Heals by Tears for Fears or You're the Inspiration by Chicago. Very 80s in terms of look and style. I'd recommend using some heavy diffusion on the lens. More than normal so the effect if obnoxiously obvious. Heavy promist can have an effect along these lines. Are you shooting on film or digital? If you're shooting video maybe you can shoot it on an old eng camera or even worse, VHS-C (I'm not sure what you're workflow is, so some of these options may not work.)

Lots and lots of smoke on the set. You may want to gets some fans to have the band members hair blow.

• Premium Member
My guess would be to rely heavily on the production design / art department and make up / wardrobe and keep the lighting glam but not overdoing it with the gels . . .

Lighting-wise, a lot of blue backlight (with or without haze) would fit well.