Easiest sound home movie system

John Adolfi

With the extinction of super-8 sound striped film, what 16mm system is the easiest for a home movie set up? I would be all over an optical or magnetic single system if it ever exists like the Canon Scoopic 200. Is there anyone striping 16mm film. Was there ever an optical sound single system ever? If super-8 still had it I would put up with the image stabilization issues and shoot it constantly.

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest sound movie system is - video! If you need to shoot with sound, run a video camera simultaneously. Not only does this give you effective backup (and a second angle if you wish) you get stereo 16-bit digital sound, automatically synced to video. All you need to do in post is match image to video and you're in sync!

• 1 month later...

You can still post-shoot-stripe Super 8mm. Wittner and a few other places still sell the striping supply and you can still find the striping machines on ebay and in Europe. As for recording sound directly on the film as you shoot, single sound, some sound super 8mm still shows up regularly on ebay, mostly kept in someone's freezer -- but usualy too pricey. Single sound 16mm seemed to have disappeared even more completely and I have only seen a little bit of it show up on ebay. CP, Auricon, Canon were the only ones to do single sytem sound that I know of.

The easiest sound movie system is - video! If you need to shoot with sound, run a video camera simultaneously. Not only does this give you effective backup (and a second angle if you wish) you get stereo 16-bit digital sound, automatically synced to video. All you need to do in post is match image to video and you're in sync!

• 2 weeks later...

I capture sound with a Zoom H4. It's a really handy portable digital recorder with stereo mics.

You'll have to sync sound with image in post. The easiest way to do that is with a clapboard. If you don't have an extra set of hands you can wild-sync it. Just listen for the faint clicking of your camera in the background and match up that way. Not easy for more than a few shots but it works. I've done it a few times.

• Premium Member

If you are transferring and editing on a computer, another easy sound system is to shoot simultaneously with a cheap digital camera in video mode. You can use some video cues like a clap board or even a flash going off to sync.

The audio on those is going to be generally better than a mag-stripe anyway and the short clips will work easily.

I capture sound with a Zoom H4. It's a really handy portable digital recorder with stereo mics.

You'll have to sync sound with image in post. The easiest way to do that is with a clapboard. If you don't have an extra set of hands you can wild-sync it. Just listen for the faint clicking of your camera in the background and match up that way. Not easy for more than a few shots but it works. I've done it a few times.

The original post seems to be asking about a single system sound camera for shooting reversal film.

No post, no prints, just project single system reversal original.

An optical sound Auricon cine-voice would be the most likely choice.

The original post seems to be asking about a single system sound camera for shooting reversal film.

No post, no prints, just project single system reversal original.

An optical sound Auricon cine-voice would be the most likely choice.

Indeed. OR, one could buy S8 sound film, which a guy on these boards occasionally posts about. They're all frozen... but cost a LOT. That's EASIEST, right?

I think you can still get sound film developed, right?... if you can find it?