HDR digital camera (20 stops of latitude)

Tim Sibley

http://www.fxguide.com/article556.html

Anyone else heard of this camera in development? I've heard very good things about Spheron's previous HDR products, and this looks like it'll have some great things going for it - including no rolling shutter artifacts, up to 60fps in test models, and 20 f-stops of latitude.

Even if this camera doesn't shake out to be too impressive, I'm excited to know that this type of HDR technology is coming so fast, which may help to address a lot of the limitations of current digital cameras.

• Premium Member
http://www.fxguide.com/article556.html

Anyone else heard of this camera in development? I've heard very good things about Spheron's previous HDR products, and this looks like it'll have some great things going for it - including no rolling shutter artifacts, up to 60fps in test models, and 20 f-stops of latitude.

Even if this camera doesn't shake out to be too impressive, I'm excited to know that this type of HDR technology is coming so fast, which may help to address a lot of the limitations of current digital cameras.

There is a downside to that much latitude, though. Think about lighting for it. To light something up to highlight level, it will have to be a thousand times brighter than your key level. Also, to get real blacks it will take massive amounts of flagging-off. I suppose that will cause people to use it like RAW files and it will look very, very flat until grading is done.

I don't imagine lighting for HDR cinematography would be much different from regular old cinematography. I mean when I take HDR photographs, I very rarely tonemap the entire range of the image, instead I select a chunk of the entire range - that chunk typically ending up very similar to the range I would have gotten if I had taken just one exposure, the only difference perhaps that I've adjusted the brights and darks of the image to my liking and I'm able to push and pull the image with ease.

I'm interested to see what they come out with. It'll definitely be handy for VFX work.

There is a downside to that much latitude, though. Think about lighting for it. To light something up to highlight level, it will have to be a thousand times brighter than your key level. Also, to get real blacks it will take massive amounts of flagging-off. I suppose that will cause people to use it like RAW files and it will look very, very flat until grading is done.

No.

I am affraid this just means that we will finaly be able to shoot movies on the simple light condition as is, regardles of daylight or nightlight conditions, without too much need for artificial ways to accomplish a natural look....

• Premium Member

We can do that now.... Give me 1 roll of 7219 (or 5219 if you wanna be generous! ;) )

I'd not mind 20+ of DR on a D-cinema camera, but of course the problem there as was brought up here, would be the need to do a lot of the "tweaking," in post. While I love a good color session, I can only imagine the calls from clients who don't understand the need for a good color grading session.

• Premium Member

Even if all you do with it is put a curve in it to make the highlight rolloff look really nice, which is surely the point, it's useful.

Also handy for doing things like timelapse. Anyone know what the technology is? Multiple sensors, different sized photosites on the same sensor, some new sensor tech?

P