Post Program to Convert Frame Rates

Nick Norton

I remember reading on one of the forums about a good program to convert, say, shots photographed at high frame rates (slow motion) into natural looking shots at 24fps.

I don't want to simply ramp up or down the speed in Final Cut, but am looking for a way to get a very realistic, natural look or freedom to produce the desired effect.

Thanks-

Nick

• Premium Member

What you're looking for is Arri's Reality program suite. It has two sides to it, one controls grain, the other does frame rate and standards conversion. The learning curve and seat price are such that this is a facility thing. Like color correction, it takes substantial expertise and experience to get the best results from it. Out here in LA, FotoKem was the first to have it. I don't know if there may be others now.

-- J.S.

Basically you're asking for information that wasn't recorded in the first place...

It would take a very smart machine or a very patient human to produce the motion blur you're after.

Most softwares appear to tackle the issue sideways in that they produce artifacts that give the impression of real motion blur, but they are just algorithms programmed for very specific circumstances ($$$+time) or are too generic to be that realistic - yes, I'll admit, enough to fool your average viewer ...

Out of interest I was watching the trailer for District 9 - imagine the budget on this film, and yet check the stuttery motion on the CGI element at 1min 50 sec - completely out of context with both the background and camera motion - pah! :lol:

From all accounts Arri's Reality sounds like a very smart machine programmed by very patient humans - perhaps a bunch of algorithms programmed for very specific circumstances ? That took a lot of money and time ?

:lol:

I'd love to look at it, this sort of stuff fascinates me ...

• 4 weeks later...
Basically you're asking for information that wasn't recorded in the first place...

I'm trying to take 50 and 75 fps footage and realistically play it back at 24 fps.

All of the necessary information is there... i'm just trying to take some of it away.

-nick

• Premium Member

Nick,

I could be misreading his post, but I think what Chris is trying to point out is that when you shoot footage at 50 or 75 fps, your frames of footage have little to no motion artifacts, those little blurs that surround moving objects when they're shot at 24 fps. The frame rates your footage was shot at freezes moving objects frame by frame, so if say you remove every third frame from the 75 fps footage, it might be running at 25 fps, but the motion will be pretty choppy because you won't have the natural blurring (motion artifacts) that the same scene would have had it been shot at 24 fps.

Make sense?

Best,

-Tim

Nick,

I could be misreading his post, but I think what Chris is trying to point out is that when you shoot footage at 50 or 75 fps, your frames of footage have little to no motion artifacts, those little blurs that surround moving objects when they're shot at 24 fps. The frame rates your footage was shot at freezes moving objects frame by frame, so if say you remove every third frame from the 75 fps footage, it might be running at 25 fps, but the motion will be pretty choppy because you won't have the natural blurring (motion artifacts) that the same scene would have had it been shot at 24 fps.

Make sense?

Best,

-Tim

Yeah, thanks.

I'm trying to take 50 and 75 fps footage and realistically play it back at 24 fps.

All of the necessary information is there... i'm just trying to take some of it away.

-nick

Your first post and this in my mind are contradicting each other, so I think I'm not reading you correctly ... What do you mean by 'natural looking'/'realistic' ?

What is wrong with a simple speed ramp in FCP ? - Perhaps you don't want any frame interposition/interpolating ?

hmmm,

ok how bout this:

Take every third frame 1,4,7,10 etc... make a 25fps image sequence of this

Take every 'next' third frame 2,5,8,11 etc... make a 25fps image sequence of this

Take every 'next next' third frame 3,6,9,12 etc... make a 25fps image sequence of this

Mix them all synchronously with %33 opacity each.

That's what you mean ?