R16mm Projector conversion to U16 considerations

John Adolfi

Ok I'll be contact Bernie soon to ask these questions on the possibility of projector conversion to U16:

1.) Should I have two removable gates. One for R16 and another for U16

2.) Can I use both a 50mm and 38mm lens and not have issues with vignetting?

3.) Can we create a gate that is not going to scratch the film?

4.) Which projector should we use?

5.) Which projector has both 24fps and 16fps.?

My Canon Scoopic M conversion should be done in the next week or so.

• Cleaned and tuned
  • Conversion to U16
  • New professional battery system
  • All completed at a reasonable price from Super 16.

As you won't need sound, I would try to get a motion analyzer projector. Then you can get any speed the projector allows, and reverse. Not easy to find, though. They are revered in the 16mm projector world. You can get multiple gates for Kodak motion analyzer projectors. I dunno how easy the gates are to convert to U16.

I suppose the gates / projectors are easier to convert to U16 than S16, as the lens does not have to be re-centered. The vignetting issue will be determined by the type of wide angle lens you get. Since none of of them were designed for 1.85:1 gate, it may be a personal quest to find one that works.

As you won't need sound, I would try to get a motion analyzer projector. Then you can get any speed the projector allows, and reverse. Not easy to find, though. They are revered in the 16mm projector world.

I priced one out today. $6,700. Why are they revered? Meaning what do they do with them that justifies the cost?

I would think Xenon would justify the added expense and the direction I've seen most go, but $6700 for what. I'm very interested what the application is for such a machine. Anyone know who'd care to comment?