side-by-side film stock comparisons?

Hey guys, I was just wonder if any of you know of any side-by-side comparisons of different film stocks for people who want to sort of "preview" the look of the film before purchasing. I know that the camera, the lens, filters, lighting, and any color correction all play an important role in how the film ultimately ends up looking, but I still would like to be able to preview the film stocks before purchasing. Any resources you guys might have along these lines that you can share? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Grayson Ijames

Bump. How do you guys decide what stock to shoot on for the desired look? Do you just know what the stocks look like through experience or what?

Some labs have demos of different film stocks they can screen for you, I've heard of this typically when a new film stock comes out but perhaps they have a handful of these tests collected. Kodak and Fuji are often generous with donating a roll of a particular stock if you know what you want to test, it also worth talking to the lab and camera house you plan on using to see if they can help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to find it now but there are a few videos posted here in the forums where people did stock comparisons. Problem seems to be that nobody has really shot the exact same scene with different stocks and processed together so you can really compare head-to-head. So it is tough to compare stocks when one is dark interior and the other is in the bright sun. I suppose there aren't too many people who want to throw down a couple thousand dollars just to do a comparison!

that being said, one thing i do is go to vimeo and search for a stock number - you can find samples various stocks that way. for example search for "7219"

When Kodak launch new emulsions, they often produce elaborate demos, showing a particluar stock against its predecessor in side-by-sdue screenings. Also I think they often have demos of the whole range of stocks. So talk to your Kodak rep. They have some of these on DVD, which you get as a takeout if you go to the stock launch (which is of course always by invitation.

Ditto for Fuji.

As for Fuji vs Kodak comparisons, talk to your lab. They probably won't have done the tests themselves, but might be able to put you in touch with someone who has.