P2 formating error

Jan Becker

Hi everybody,

just came back from a trip from hell.

We were shooting a corporate video in different places in the U.S. over 9 days and I had nothing but trouble with my P2 workflow.

I normally love the P2 system and I'm really upset right now:

First, when I connected the HVX to my laptop to dump the cards, they didn't mount (they always did). So there was no way I could download them.

After many tries I was able to bring them over with a USB cable, which shouldn't even be possible with a MacBook.

Next day I got an external hard drive and after several tries I was able to download them in the host mode. I got several different error messages from "internal 1394 err" to just "format err".

Anyway, it worked eventually.

Then on the last day of shooting, 2 minutes before starting I wanted to reformat the cards and I got the following message in the thumbnail mode: "format err" and "P2 Micon err".Now it just says "can't format".

I had a back up camera, so I still shot it, but it was a Canon and the footage doesn't match.

I hope I don't lose this client, it's one of my best. So far he has been understanding.

To my knowledge I didn't do anything wrong, since I followed my usual work flow.

The only new element was a rented P2 card.

I also have the latest firmware on my HVX.

Now the camera just refuses to record on cards.

I called Panasonic in L.A., but I have the feeling it's going to be expensive so I'm reluctant to bring it over and I want to maybe find a way to fix it myself.

I would be very grateful for any input,

Thanks,

Jan

The firewire (1394) connection on the HVX200 is notoriously buggy. After the firewire connection on our second camera gave up, we wound up buying a P2 card reader and now transfer the files that way. It's worth the money, both in terms of stability and ease of use.

As for the camera not recognizing cards at all any more, are you using a larger P2 card than you normally use? Some of the older HVX200s have firmware that can't recognize larger cards.

As for the camera not recognizing cards at all any more, are you using a larger P2 card than you normally use? Some of the older HVX200s have firmware that can't recognize larger cards.

I've been using 32GB cards for a while now and I also have updated my firmware.

I think I have to bring it in.

Is there a cheaper place than Panasonic in L.A.?