New Electronics for the CP-16

Michael Collier

Yeah, it is pretty much dead on the vine. The problem is the market (which was limited when I started) has completely dissolved. At the same time, the Alaskan film industry has boomed, and I haven't stopped working in months, so my R&D time is greatly reduced. I think its probably no longer viable as a commercial installed product, but I could see for the rare few DIY'ers in the group, I could give schematics and sell pre-programmed chips with the firmware for much, much less than I had planned to sell it for.

Other than that, I have something new I am working on, which takes about 50% of my limited R&D time. I won't say word one about it, because I'm already eating crow over the CP. If anyone has a defunct CP and is feeling confident in their soldering abilities, I will pass out what I do have very inexpensively. I even have files for the board fab house, so you can get a high quality printed circuit board, and know the wiring is right. But a first release won't be for a while. Until at least I get more than a day off every two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Michael- Haven't talked to you in a while. I have another CP16 with a bad board. It won't run properly. I would also like to get whatever you can help me with to build my own boards that you designed. Please tell me what you need for me to send $. I would like to make two boards for both my CP's.

Thanks, Jane

janemargo@yahoo.com

Yeah, it is pretty much dead on the vine. The problem is the market (which was limited when I started) has completely dissolved. At the same time, the Alaskan film industry has boomed, and I haven't stopped working in months, so my R&D time is greatly reduced. I think its probably no longer viable as a commercial installed product, but I could see for the rare few DIY'ers in the group, I could give schematics and sell pre-programmed chips with the firmware for much, much less than I had planned to sell it for.

Other than that, I have something new I am working on, which takes about 50% of my limited R&D time. I won't say word one about it, because I'm already eating crow over the CP. If anyone has a defunct CP and is feeling confident in their soldering abilities, I will pass out what I do have very inexpensively. I even have files for the board fab house, so you can get a high quality printed circuit board, and know the wiring is right. But a first release won't be for a while. Until at least I get more than a day off every two weeks.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Not too sure if these board options are still available or not. I would be interested in the schematics and board layout info, perhaps even a bill of material with all the parts you had used. I can etch my own board and silk screen it. Also, if there is any firmware, that would be helpful.

My CP-16R seems to be running ok right now, although it does funny things once in a while. I think its a bad push button switch in the handle grip, not too sure though.

Thanks,

Andy

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

that guy michael dropped of radar,,,i had to fix my own cp board,,it was corroded by the battery,,luckily it was able to fix when i scraped the green off it,,washed it down,,sand papered it smoooth,,and put new belts on,,,now it runs like a champ,,but i may need to sell my cp16r,angenioux lens,12x120,,2 mags,ac battery,,anyone interested??seen one on ebay with a video tap for 900 but to much for me.these cp are soooo quiet,,not a peeep out of em when filming,,,you still shooting with your cp jane,???

Steven, I looked at all that - cleaned, tightened some things up and etc. Mine runs choppy at the same speed in all speeds then shuts down immediately after. Sync light never goes off. Someone said that the IC's (which are not made anymore) dry out and malfunction. I wish I could find a fix.. this camera is so primo to me.

Jane