Portable Daylight Fill

Hi, if anyone could help me with this I'd be grateful.

I'm looking for some portable battery powered lights that are going to act as fill to the sunlight on a summer day (UK). I want to eliminate or soften the shadows the sun causes on my talents faces. It's only a small project with 2 actresses.

So far I've looked at getting a couple of PAG L24 bashers with a battery belt or a 12V Dedo kit running off a car battery booster each. I've seen on board lighs by Sachtler, Dedo and Pag but presume these aren't going to give as much coverage.

Ideally I could provide a fill from around 2-3 meters from my subject with the beam covering most of the talent and not just the face.

Any ideas? The more versatile these lights the better for other projects too. I'm just clueless as to what a lights like these are going to do to daylight shadows on faces. Last thing I want to do is switch something on and nothing happens, or I've got to be 2 feet away to get an effect.

Bounce on this project isn't really an option just in case you were thinking.

Cheers

Bounce on this project isn't really an option just in case you were thinking.

Cheers

Hi-

That's unfortunate because it might be your only realistic option. The lights you mention won't do squat on a sunny day at those distances.

I wanted to keep the crew right down, as in me and one other guy off camera.

I guess I could do bounce and use some stands, and yes I did want to track with the talent on some shots.. I was worried about wind and lack of hands ultimately.

If you guys are saying I'm gonna waste a whole lot of time and money with that kind of power output then I suppose I'm going to have to use bounce. I suppose I'd need a genny and some large HMI's if I were to use lights then..?

Any other ticks of the trade for softening sunlight?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Lastolite and Flexfill are two brands of handheld reflectors. They are shiny on one side and white on the other for a softer bounce. Of course you could have someone simply hold a 4x4 beadboard. You wouldn't soften the sun by adding more light, what you need to do is soften the source itself. You could do this by placing a large rag of diffusion overhead (like a silk for gridcloth)

Well thanks for putting me straight guys before I blew a load of money on lights.

Gonna have a look into the diffusers and reflectors, saw some over Westcott that look good, also some scrim jims that might come in handy I'm thinking.

Cheers

A little more guidance would be really appreciated..

I'm going to forget lights to make my talent look good in daylight.. and so I found this:

http://www.lastolite.com/skylite-kits.php

..to act as a diffuser and add some reflectors in too.

I'm a little worried though it's going to effect too small an area, what do you guys think?

To be honest if this doesn't work it seems the only thing that will is a huge crew and budget so I'm thinking of just shooting with nothing and forgetting about doing anything with the light.

If you want to go for the "soften the source" approach, AND your shot is rather tight, you may be able to get away with your one crew member walking a 4x4 (that is feet, so I guess 1.3x1.3 in meters?) open frame skinned with diffusion over the talent? I've done it before with success, though, like I said, it has to be a pretty tight shot to work. A larger frame of course covers more area, but needs more manpower to set up, and becomes increasingly difficult (though not impossible by any means) to track along with the actors. If all else fails, any chance you can select a part of the location that will be shaded naturally via tree or building or what not? :)

If all else fails, any chance you can select a part of the location that will be shaded naturally via tree or building or what not? :)

I remember a quote in AC (I think it was Ron Garcia about shooting "Twin Peaks") where he said about shooting exteriors on a tv schedule; (something to the effect of)

"backlight, fill and boogie"

It was one of the most useful things I've ever read in that magazine!

First of all forget the lights. They will be expensive and ineffective. Get yourself a 4 x 4 bead board and use it as a bounce fill. Cut it in half and tape it so it fold in half for easy transport. A flex fill is another option. It is easier to transport but less sturdy to use.

As far as opver heads. I like my 1 stop Wescott flex. It easily cover one person and two if the are close together.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6276...4_One_Stop.html

Next step would be a 6x6 frame and some c-stands.

Thanks again for everything. I've found a couple of things I think will help get me going, works out cheaper than lights and will useful in a lot of projects.

Going for a sunbounce:

http://www.sunbounce.com/cms/index.php?id=..._ttproducts_pi1[backPID]=502&tx_ttproducts_pi1[product]=392&cHash=e52d309a9b

And swatter:

http://www.sunbounce.com/cms/index.php?id=..._ttproducts_pi1[backPID]=504&tx_ttproducts_pi1[product]=401&cHash=e32352f923

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks again for everything. I've found a couple of things I think will help get me going, works out cheaper than lights and will useful in a lot of projects.

Going for a sunbounce:

http://www.sunbounce.com/cms/index.php?id=..._ttproducts_pi1[backPID]=502&tx_ttproducts_pi1[product]=392&cHash=e52d309a9b

And swatter:

http://www.sunbounce.com/cms/index.php?id=..._ttproducts_pi1[backPID]=504&tx_ttproducts_pi1[product]=401&cHash=e32352f923

I was gonna suggest that but it looks like you've come to that conclusion - the swatter is great for the walk and talks and all this can be done with a small crew