EX1 oe EX3 with Redrock Micro Encore

Adam Sauermilch

Hello All,

I am in the process of purchasing the Sony EX3 as well as a Redrock Micro Encore 35mm adapter.

Question, is there a difference between using the EX1 or EX3 with the REDrock.

When I say difference, I mean difference in quality, just to clarify.

The EX3 is more expensive and when paired together with other accessories like a Matt Box, Shoulder mount, Lenses and extra tape-less media I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth it.

Also, is there another camera with a larger chip and greater image quality around the same price?

Advice would be more than appreciated!

Thanks.

The only difference for you would be size and weight, and the potential to use a relay lens on the EX3. The are a handful of relay lenses that work with the EX3, they reduce light loss, increase sharpness, and reduce weight and length.

Without a relay lens, you will see no difference between an EX1 and an EX3.

There is no camera that matches the EX in it's price range.

• Premium Member
Question, is there a difference between using the EX1 or EX3 with the REDrock.

Yes. The EX3 has interchangeable lenses, so you can mount an adapter on it. The EX1 has a permanently mounted zoom lens, there's no physical way to put a 35mm adapter on it. Or at least that's what I find on the Sony web site: "Lens Mount: N/A" ....

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PMWEX1/

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

You can put a lens adapter on the EX1, such as a Letus or Red Rock via a mount that screws onto the front of the lens much like a filter. Of course you'll need a rails/support system to take the weight of the lens adapter off of said screw mount.

The only difference for you would be size and weight, and the potential to use a relay lens on the EX3. The are a handful of relay lenses that work with the EX3, they reduce light loss, increase sharpness, and reduce weight and length.

Without a relay lens, you will see no difference between an EX1 and an EX3.

There is no camera that matches the EX in it's price range.

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. Question, which relay lenses would you recommend?

-Adam

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. Question, which relay lenses would you recommend?

-Adam

I'd go for the Letus EX3 relay, with the Letus Ultimate adapter out of the currently available gear. The P+S Technik Pro35 EX3 looks nice too, but seems to lose more light. The Cinevate still can't be bought, and only B4, and the MotionFX is also still only B4.

http://www.letusdirect.com/cart/letus-EX3-relay.html