Lighting for HVX 200 with RedRock

neil orchard

Im shooting a short thats most interior with the Hvx with a Redrock. Lighting tests wernt that great we had to use a lot of light and didnt like the overall look. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve some good looking images using the redrock without using all the lights we have

• Premium Member

HVX is a "slower" camera and lens adapters reduce light. The best of them take away about 1/2 a stop and the worst can be 2 stops of light or more. The simple answer is that in order to use them, and be anywhere aside from wide open, you're going to need to light and on occasion light a lot.

• Premium Member
HVX is a "slower" camera and lens adapters reduce light. The best of them take away about 1/2 a stop and the worst can be 2 stops of light or more. The simple answer is that in order to use them, and be anywhere aside from wide open, you're going to need to light and on occasion light a lot.

What didn't you like about the look? Is the camera (the whole system, camera, adapter, lenses) set up properly?

• Premium Member

What primes are you using? If you're shooting with something that has a minimum f-stop of 3.5 or something you aren't doing yourself any favors.

HVX is a noisy camera to begin with. Going through all that extra glass can't help. Why not lose the adapter and shoot with the kit lens?

I DPed 8 films with the HVX200a and redrock M2. It is a nightmare. I always demand a truck load of lights and fast lenses for every shoot. I recently shot a feature on a RED and was amazed to see I COULD light a scene with just practicals.

FYI this should be in the cinematography section not cinematographers tisk tisk.

Edited by steve laramie

• 3 weeks later...
Also, if I remember correctly, the RedRock adapter is the cheapest adapter on the market, and requires significantly more light than many of the other systems (i.e. ps technic).

I work most extensively with the HVX 200 with the P+S Technic, and I've rated it at 160 ISO. It's about two stops faster without the adapter, so I think no matter where you go adapterwise, you'll need a significant amount of light. The HVX 200A is a faster camera, so maybe thats an option.

I work most extensively with the HVX 200 with the P+S Technic, and I've rated it at 160 ISO. It's about two stops faster without the adapter, so I think no matter where you go adapterwise, you'll need a significant amount of light. The HVX 200A is a faster camera, so maybe thats an option.

Or even the HPX170 if you are recording to P2 and not tape.

They both are faster cameras and have a bit more resolution too.

Probably the easiest thing is to lose the adaptor tho! :)

love

Freya

Im shooting a short thats most interior with the Hvx with a Redrock. Lighting tests wernt that great we had to use a lot of light and didnt like the overall look. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve some good looking images using the redrock without using all the lights we have

If you don't mind the noise you could bump up the gain, reducing the detail level might soften some of the harshest fuzz. Unfortunately it is a slow system so it will require more light. What was the problem anyway, did you not like the look of the image produced by the camera or are you having difficulty lighting the scene?

Also about using the Red Rock or Letus etc... with the HVX is that you lose the great color that the Panasonic Camera Captures as well. So I would use the kit lens and do some color correcting either inside the camera or in post. I have the HPX300 and the color 4:2:2 ratio is amazing.

I stepped in for the DP on a film shot with an HVX-200, a Brevis, and still lenses, which was not fun. The lenses weren't very good, plus having to go through all that glass meant that we were blasting the scenes with light. Some of the stuff I shot was underexposed, and if I could go back and redo those shots today I'd throw more light on them.

Edited by Ravi Kiran

• 4 weeks later...

The first generation of M2 RedRock keeps 2 stop and a half but, the new version, the upgrade kit, stops only ½ stop wich is an important amount of light. Considering that you can't offer you something bigger like high-end cameras, the dof of the redrock is such an advantage, even with the loss of light.

• Premium Member
The first generation of M2 RedRock keeps 2 stop and a half but, the new version, the upgrade kit, stops only ½ stop wich is an important amount of light. Considering that you can't offer you something bigger like high-end cameras, the dof of the redrock is such an advantage, even with the loss of light.

To be homest I would rather shoot with a 7D.