Favorite can and reel

John Adolfi

Just got a slew from Urbanski's 800, 1200, 1600 gray plastic. They don't seem to close tightly. Plastic. Not sure of brand. Reel looks good, it's the cans I'm a little unsure about. What can, brand, and outlet do you use? Do you prefer Metal or Plastic?

Just got a slew from Urbanski's 800, 1200, 1600 gray plastic. They don't seem to close tightly. Plastic. Not sure of brand. Reel looks good, it's the cans I'm a little unsure about. What can, brand, and outlet do you use? Do you prefer Metal or Plastic?

John, These sound like the 'archival' cans Larry sells. Apart from loose fitting they should have vents on the top and ridges on the insides. This is to allow air to circulate and the film to breathe - which is very useful for films that are venting 'vinegar smells'

If they are the type I'm thinking of, they are made by Tuscan / USA.

John S :rolleyes:

Hi,

I learned a lot on this site in the past four or five years. But I've been amazed lately byt the laziness of the inquiries— like : "It says to turn the knob clockwise. What if I turn it the other way?". Then a,month later: :"Hello, anybody out there? Please help!"

Best regards to the knob keepers

hang in there,

Marc.

John, These sound like the 'archival' cans Larry sells. Apart from loose fitting they should have vents on the top and ridges on the insides. This is to allow air to circulate and the film to breathe - which is very useful for films that are venting 'vinegar smells'

If they are the type I'm thinking of, they are made by Tuscan / USA.

John S :rolleyes:

Hi John, yes they are from them. And yes archival version. They work but they appear cheap. Will they do the job, yes but the cans do not close tight. Very loose. The fact they are loose should not be a design of the "archival" properties of it since they have vents in the can. I'm just asking the crew here if there any alternatives. Thanks.

Hi John, yes they are from them. And yes archival version. They work but they appear cheap. Will they do the job, yes but the cans do not close tight. Very loose. The fact they are loose should not be a design of the "archival" properties of it since they have vents in the can. I'm just asking the crew here if there any alternatives. Thanks.

Hi John,

Yes they are suppose to be loose fitting to allow as much air ( and not dust ) to enter and circulate in the can.

I use these cans ( 1600ft & 2000ft ) for most of my feature film prints. :rolleyes:

John S

Hi John,

Yes they are suppose to be loose fitting to allow as much air ( and not dust ) to enter and circulate in the can.

I use these cans ( 1600ft & 2000ft ) for most of my feature film prints. :rolleyes:

John S

Thank you John S