Using golf tees?

I read somewhere and heard that you can make markers using golf tees. maybe im just stupid.. but can anybody give me details on how you would do that? do you create a T and drive it into the ground? i got a shoot next monday and we will be doing a lot of outdoors! help please!!!

Edited by justinly

• Premium Member

As per forum rules, your please change your display name to your full first and last name.

As for your question, every assistant in the world has different ways of marking, especially outside, it comes down to preference. For good hard marks, sandbag Ts or colored metal Ts work best for me. But I have used golf ts before often just as a quick 'soft' mark or if the DP is looking at shots for later in the day and wants a reminder of camera positions. Often too, if I find out the marks have to be pulled as they are visible in shot, golf ts are small enough to be hidden in the grass so the camera won't see them. On the flip side they are so small that often people can't see them too, so they have limitations.

Besides changing your screen name as Mr. Regan has kindly suggested.....

You can use anything to mark.. a golf tee (tho barely visible and highly NOT recommended)... a small flag... a sand bad.. a human... a crack in the concrete.. a wedge... a stain... whatever.

Are you the focus puller?

...I (might) use golf tees for Table Top shots and that is about it.

• Premium Member

I generally cover metal Ts with tape and use those. I do, however, also carry some of a particular type of roofing nail. They have a big flange/washer thing and they make a 1" or 1-1/2" dot on the ground. I spraypainted them a few different colors. They seemed like a good idea but I really don't use them a lot. They're good for actors who keep kicking their marks around, or for when a regular T is too visible.

Edited by Chris Keth