Anyone live near any of the fires?

Chris Keth

• Premium Member

I'm in Baltimore right now nervously checking the news and talking to my girlfriend. We live in Montrose, 2 or 3 miles south of the south edge of the station fire. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else? Best of luck and prayers to everyone!

• Premium Member

Unless you're in one of those isolated houses in the forest, or on the edge of a subdivision that backs right up to the brush, you'll be fine. The few isolated houses in the wilderness have just about zero chance if it heads their way. It's a triage decision, they can't put the amount of men and equipment on a single house that it would take to save it.

They do save most of the high value targets, like the bulk of neighborhoods that back up to the brush. IIRC, they've only lost about 60 houses. We were worried about the transmitters, observatory, and active science facilities up on Mt. Wilson, but at this point they're holding that line. The big planes have painted the whole mountaintop red with fire retardant.

Looking North from Studio City at the moment, I can't see the far side of the valley. There's uniform gray-brown smoke in the way, and no wind to move it.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Unless you're in one of those isolated houses in the forest, or on the edge of a subdivision that backs right up to the brush, you'll be fine.

Logically I knew that all along but it all goes out the window to some degree when you can stand on your back porch and see a whole hillside on fire. :blink:

Hope everyone is OK!

• 3 weeks later...