HPX3700: 24 frames or 23.98

Aileen M Taylor

I'm about to start a shoot with the Panasonic 3700 "Varicam" and while looking at the manual today I saw that it can record in either 23.98 or 24fps. This is an MOS shoot, and staying in video format for post, so I feel like we should shoot 24fps...? Another question would be, is there is any advantage to using one frame rate over the other in terms of P2 record space? Thanks.

• Premium Member
I'm about to start a shoot with the Panasonic 3700 "Varicam" and while looking at the manual today I saw that it can record in either 23.98 or 24fps. This is an MOS shoot, and staying in video format for post, so I feel like we should shoot 24fps...? Another question would be, is there is any advantage to using one frame rate over the other in terms of P2 record space? Thanks.

Hey Aileen Taylor :) This wouldn't be for Skip would it? Small world if so.

Either way, if it's an MOS shoot, 24fps would be great. Typically we'll just do 23.98fps for sync sound.

I'm going to say it's pretty much insignificant, that minor a difference, as far as recording time...

Good luck.

• Premium Member

The only significant question is whether you need to feed an NTSC video village. In that case, go 23.976. For MOS, it doesn't matter which speed you shoot. For sync, in only matters that picture and sound are both on the same side of the "point zero zero" vs. "point nine something" divide. Typically, we do everything at 23.976.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
This is an MOS shoot, and staying in video format for post, so I feel like we should shoot 24fps...?

I'd say keep your life simple and shoot at 23.976 since it will be less confusing for post. Also, if you're going to broadcast you'll probably need to deliver an NTSC 23.976 or 29.97 version anyway. Any savings in recording time will be negligible.