Lightning Strikes on the Red

• Premium Member

This is a cross-post from the RED sub-forum.

I'm about to start shooting a 2 camera RED feature and there's a night exterior scene with lightning. I'm trying to arrange for some Lightning Strikes units, but a colleague recently shot a music video on a Red with a 70K Lightning Strikes and had problems with the rolling shutter only capturing the flashes on parts of the frame (for example, there would be a horizontal bar at the top and bottom of the frame that showed the flash, but not the middle).

Is it possible to adjust the Lightning Strikes to flash a bit longer, sync with the cameras (and how time consuming is that?), etc?

It's either this is a 12K with metal shutters........

This is a cross-post from the RED sub-forum.

I'm about to start shooting a 2 camera RED feature and there's a night exterior scene with lightning. I'm trying to arrange for some Lightning Strikes units, but a colleague recently shot a music video on a Red with a 70K Lightning Strikes and had problems with the rolling shutter only capturing the flashes on parts of the frame (for example, there would be a horizontal bar at the top and bottom of the frame that showed the flash, but not the middle).

Is it possible to adjust the Lightning Strikes to flash a bit longer, sync with the cameras (and how time consuming is that?), etc?

It's either this is a 12K with metal shutters........

I've definitely had the same rolling shutter problem with any strobe shooting on the RED, unfortunately I didn't have time on set to find a solution and have yet to do much research on the problem...