what did you score for xmas?

Jason Maeda

alright folks, let's do this once again. what dvd's and books did you haul in for xmas? me:

"art of the storyboard" - book by doug hart

"star wars" - dvd set (just watched empire with dad...great flick)

"macromedia dreamweaver mx - the missing manual" - cause i'm building a website for my wedding film business

"the thing" - dvd

by the way just noticed criterion is going to release a 2 dvd set for antonioni's "l'eclisse" in march. i am so elated i can barely stand it, now if they would just cough up "the passenger"...

happy holidays everyone. let's try not to forget about those less fortunate than us.

jk :ph34r:

Guest Alex Taylor

Books:

The 5 C's of Cinematography

New Cinematographers

DVDs:

Hero

Corner Gas (Canadian TV series)

The Five Obstructions

And some other non-film related stuff ;)

• Premium Member

DVD's:

Mystery Science Theater 3000, Vol. 6

LOTR: Return of the King, Extended Version

One from the Heart Special Edition

Books:

John Ford (Tachen/Eyeman)

In the Picture: Production Stills from the TCM Archive

A gallery book of Kurosawa paintings from a museum exhibit in Japan

Plus Joseph Ellis' new biography of George Washington (I just finished the Hamilton bio so I'm sort of on an early American history kick...)

Here's a question:

One of the things I got was a subscription to Variety. What are the thoughts on keeping up with this side of the business as opposed to dedicating yourself solely to the art and technique of cinematogrphy.

Granted for me as a film student in LA the technique and art is all i'm concentrating on at the moment. But my knowledge of production companies, on-going projects, writers, etc. is so limited and, like cinematography, takes time to become familiar with. Any thoughts? How much do folks pay attention to "the business" side of things.

Happy holidays.

chuck

los angeles

Books: Operating Cinematography For Film and Video

DVDs: Citizen Kane 2-disc special edition, Psycho, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Faith Restored (a chronicle of the Red Sox victory!)

I also got a pretty cool Blue Velvet poster and some Jack Skellington stuff.

Oh, and money...for the camera of course!

As far as movies go, what are some of your favorite holiday movies? My dad is obsessed with the movie "Bad Santa", I am not sure why. He just thinks it's really funny. Talk about strange tastes.

My personal favorite holiday movies are The Nightmare Before Christmas, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. I also like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. :D

Happy Holidays!

• Premium Member

My Dad got me a Krasnogorsk-3 kit and the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD (I play guitar, also)

My girlfriend got me the 40th anniversary DVD of Lawrence of Arabia and a beautiful leatherbound journal. Her Mom got me the 2 disc DVD of Citizen Kane.

From various other people I got a bottle of aftershave, the American Cinematographers Manual, some cool 3D wooden puzzles, and about $200 :D .

Edited by Mr. Bunnies

Here's a question:

One of the things I got was a subscription to Variety....

Wow, you keep company with better-off people than I do!

I hinted for an Aaton 35mm camera, but it didn't work.

Got two watches (I'm gonna start registering like they do for weddings so this doesn't happen), a couple shirts, a couple books, a couple gift cards...

Actually, I'm sort of sick of what Christmas has become; a big guilt-ridden shopping spree that everyone HAS to engage in.

I saw a great Bizarro comic on Christmas.

It has a picture of Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus in the manger, talking with the three wise men, and Mary says "remember, the whole point of this is to promote shopping"

Matt Pacini