Lighting a Guitar Shop

Hello All,

I am shooting a short film on S16, and the director wants a very real, yet somewhat gritty look. Some references he had in mind were "Crash" and "The Wrestler". I have attached a picture of the shop during the daytime. We are shooting at night, and I am going to another locations scout tonight. I am shooting it with 7219/500T stock and then doing color correction in Lustre. In the picture, there will be a customer and someone behind the counter at the register.

So for lighting, I am considering rigging a four bank kino above the counter and getting a squid to space the bulbs out a little. Then I was going to have an 1.2 HMI outside playing. Also, if you notice the red string lights behind the counter, I was going to play those up by have a betweenie diffed down with a red gel playing as a small backlight on the person behind the counter. I hope that this is understandable to all of you out there.

Thanks.

-Robyn

post-42293-1252110749.jpg

post-42293-1252110792.jpg

Gritty eh? Play with those banners on the windows to act like flags. I would black wrap the front of them so no light sneaks through and blast a 5K tungsten through on an angle about 5-10 feet from the window. I would then get art department to add some light haze so the light comes in on streaks. I would then put a 1k chimera on the side of the counter backed up about 5-10ft for ambiance and then another 1k chimera in front of talent about 5-10ft back for ambiance. Both chimeras with egg crates and half CTB. I would balance for day light to give a blue gritty feeling. I also like your idea of some lamps with CTRs lighting the product behind the counter.

Edited by steve laramie