NYFA Cinematography Focus

NYFA has started a one year (or rather 10 month) cinematography specialization course.

It's just about as expensive as the general film making course.

It seems ideal for a cinematographer who wants to skip the theory and move into practice.

Can the experts and other members put in their thoughts on this?

here's the link:

nyfa cinematography link

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I just checked out the link and it looks interesting. Could anyone give any opinion about the course. And if there is a difference between NY and LA location. I am currently in Australia and I am looking for a 100% cinematography course using 16mm and 35mm. Cheers

I'm in the program in NYC and I love it. You're working with 16mm the first day hands-on and it is a very tough and intense program. It's fast paced but you have plenty of time to ask questions when needed.

The way it works is during the week you have your classes like Cinematographer's Craft where you learn all of your theory, Grip and Electric where you learn new G&E gear, camera classes where you learn new cameras, Trends and Groundbreakers where you watch a movie and discuss the cinematography in it, Still Photo Workshop where you take pictures with a still camera and you talk and critique it with the class, Production Workshop where you actually shoot an assignment with whatever new theories/ trends/ gear you learned that week, among other classes.

On the weekends you shoot your projects. Each camera that you learn has it's own project and a theme for it (mise en scene, continuity, montage, POV, etc.). You also have your semester and thesis film which is completely open ended and you can do whatever you want.

In the first semester you learn 16mm black and white reversal with the Arri 16S, then HD with the Panasonic HPX-170, followed by 16mm color negative with the Arri SR2. In the second semester you learn digital cinema with the RED as well as 35mm with a Panavision camera (not sure which one, we're still on the RED).

--

The program originated in NYC and is run by John Loughin, a cinematography graduate from the American Film Institute. He's a great instructor and really knows what he's doing behind a camera and with lighting. LA also has a program, but it is still run by John but he didn't even know it existed until a couple of weeks into the first semester because it was having troubles at that campus, so I don't know what's going on over there.

It's a really great program and you will learn a lot from composition to lighting to setting up a c-stand. Just make sure it's what you really want to do because it's a very intense program and can be too much for some people.

Edited by Steve McBride

Thanks Steve, it is reassuring to hear from someone who is currently doing the course. I am expecting to be intensive as it is a 1 year course. That’s exactly what I want.

From what I understand the course doesn’t give you much time to go around and meet profesionnal filmaker outside the school. Does NYFA help you with getting in the professional world or are you on your own to meet and create a network?

Finally do you know anyone from LA program? For me it is easier to go in LA than NY. But if th program is not as good over there or in trouble I will pick NY.

Hopefully I am making sense as English is not my native language.

Thanks

I'm in the program in NYC and I love it. You're working with 16mm the first day hands-on and it is a very tough and intense program. It's fast paced but you have plenty of time to ask questions when needed.

The way it works is during the week you have your classes like Cinematographer's Craft where you learn all of your theory, Grip and Electric where you learn new G&E gear, camera classes where you learn new cameras, Trends and Groundbreakers where you watch a movie and discuss the cinematography in it, Still Photo Workshop where you take pictures with a still camera and you talk and critique it with the class, Production Workshop where you actually shoot an assignment with whatever new theories/ trends/ gear you learned that week, among other classes.

On the weekends you shoot your projects. Each camera that you learn has it's own project and a theme for it (mise en scene, continuity, montage, POV, etc.). You also have your semester and thesis film which is completely open ended and you can do whatever you want.

In the first semester you learn 16mm black and white reversal with the Arri 16S, then HD with the Panasonic HPX-170, followed by 16mm color negative with the Arri SR2. In the second semester you learn digital cinema with the RED as well as 35mm with a Panavision camera (not sure which one, we're still on the RED).

--

The program originated in NYC and is run by John Loughin, a cinematography graduate from the American Film Institute. He's a great instructor and really knows what he's doing behind a camera and with lighting. LA also has a program, but it is still run by John but he didn't even know it existed until a couple of weeks into the first semester because it was having troubles at that campus, so I don't know what's going on over there.

It's a really great program and you will learn a lot from composition to lighting to setting up a c-stand. Just make sure it's what you really want to do because it's a very intense program and can be too much for some people.

I'm 99% sure that it is either going to be a Gold or Gold 2, Probably with a set of superspeeds as well. (Unless they are reserved already from when your class is using them, in which case you'd get a set of Primos)

...Come to think of it you might actually be getting an 11:1 b/c then your class gets to use the zoom control.

Edited by Rob Vogt

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Daniel,

Wondering how the coursework is going. I am also interested in taking the course in LA.

Regards

Srujan

HI srujan

Im siri from Andhra Pradesh... m very much interested in doin this cinematography course. i want to do in US, but m not sure where to go n which institution or university is better for this course. wats up with u?? wat are u upto.

hi

if you want to do this course do it in NY and nowhere else!

that is where NYFA is best plus i know from the last batch some people inscribed for LA but they couldnt get enough people there so 3 or 4 students where send to NY to do the program there.

I can say from my own experience it is a good program and you learn a lot - depending on your experience level.

if you have any questions in particular just shoot me a mail - im happy to help.

• 1 month later...

I just started some weeks ago with the NYFA LA programm. I have to say for me just starting out in that field the school is very good. The teachers here in LA are very good and take a lot of time to explain everything to you. They even take time after school or on weekends to go through stuff u don't understand.

Before I came here I also read a lot of mixed reviews and was not sure if its the right thing to do. But after almost 2 months I think I made the right choice. I'm learning alot and the equipment we get to use here is incredible...

If anyone has quetions just shoot me an e-mail...

so long

D.D.