Budget Filters?

Having spent entirely too much cash the past few weeks, I've been hunting around for a bargain on ND filters. I've gotten ridiculous deals on eBay in the past but there don't seem to be any steals coming up.

My search led me to this place and I was wondering if anybody had experience with some of these less expensive brands like HiTech? Also, any thoughts on Resin vs Glass vs "White Water" Glass?

http://www.2filter.com/4x4camerafilters/4x4ndgraduals.html

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Having spent entirely too much cash the past few weeks, I've been hunting around for a bargain on ND filters. I've gotten ridiculous deals on eBay in the past but there don't seem to be any steals coming up.

My search led me to this place and I was wondering if anybody had experience with some of these less expensive brands like HiTech? Also, any thoughts on Resin vs Glass vs "White Water" Glass?

http://www.2filter.com/4x4camerafilters/4x4ndgraduals.html

Thanks!

I would steer clear of resin. They scratch easily. Think of it this way, filters directly affect image quality. Cheaping out on them would be like cheaping out on lenses or using old wobbly wheels on your dolly. They're expensive, but I'd stick with schneider or tiffin filters.

I would steer clear of resin. They scratch easily. Think of it this way, filters directly affect image quality. Cheaping out on them would be like cheaping out on lenses or using old wobbly wheels on your dolly. They're expensive, but I'd stick with schneider or tiffin filters.

While I do agree with Chris, I would say that resin filters --if acquired in good shape for cheap (eBay, etc) and treated gently-- are well suited for a couple of years use while money can be saved for the more expensive glass filters.

thanks guys. if i may ask a follow-up - are resin filter still glass with just a cheaper coating, or are they actually a more flimsy gel material? all of my other filters are glass so i've never actually seen a resin one. if it's a gel material i probably would rather just save up for the glass.

• Premium Member
thanks guys. if i may ask a follow-up - are resin filter still glass with just a cheaper coating, or are they actually a more flimsy gel material? all of my other filters are glass so i've never actually seen a resin one. if it's a gel material i probably would rather just save up for the glass.

It's not like a gel filter. They're essentially plastic. Pretty hard plastic, but not hard enough to avoid scratches from normal handling.

• Premium Member
I regularly use 4X4s, far from obsolete. 35, RED, whatever... I don't know why you would think they were obsolete. Great investment as they last forever and don't depreciate too much I wouldn't think.

They're not obsolete, but they are too small for a lot of current lenses. Sweet that yours work, but if I were buying new, I would get 4x5 size. I feel that is the most widely useful.

• 4 weeks later...

just as a follow-up i decided to try a resin filter for the heck of it. having used only glass before i have to say they feel cheap and flimsy by comparison. also i had to kinda tape it into my filter holder because it's a thin wafer compared to my a big hunk-o-glass filters. i consider this filter to be "disposable" but i have a feeling if i keep it in it's plastic case and treat it with a lot of TLC that it will last quite a while. so considering the price I don't feel like it is a bad deal.