Pricing of a used Aaton A-minima

Curt Wilkinson

• Premium Member
Wondering how I might determine a fair price.

It's kinda "what the market will bear" and right now, that's not much. The market for 16mm camera gear, even Super 16, has never been worse. Blame it on all the prosumer HD cameras that are flooding the market.

I picked up a very nice Aaton XTR with two mags, batteries, rods, PL mount, wooden grip, etc., for $5500. Like I said, the market has really tanked.

Might try to sell the camera and glass separately.

Best,

-Tim

Thanks Tim,

I've thought about selling the lenses separately, but wonder if that leaves me with a camera no one wants. I know PL mount lenses are being used on HDSLR's, Red cameras, etc.

Looks like you are part of the trend yourself.

Never heard of an HDSLR. Pretty sure you have to shoot HDR with any camera with multiple frames of under, overexposure, no?

I'd want the camera, but I'm not willing to pay thousands of dollars on it, unless I were my own production company or something.

Why did you buy a very specialized, expensive camera like this to begin with? Rental makes a lot of sense unless you are using cameras on a daily basis.

• Premium Member
Never heard of an HDSLR. Pretty sure you have to shoot HDR with any camera with multiple frames of under, overexposure, no?

I think he means cameras like the 5DmkII. DSLRs that people are getting HD video out of.

Karl,

Actually bought the camera because rental fees were so high. I'm making three films for my PhD, but funding has never come through.

Ideally I'd love to shoot the projects on film, but hard to buy stock, develop and transfer without the $$$$'s.

Google HDSLR, better yet look at some of the images they're producing...

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I picked up a very nice Aaton XTR with two mags, batteries, rods, PL mount, wooden grip, etc., for $5500. Like I said, the market has really tanked.

Wow! That is encouraging. I'm interested in picking up an A-Minima or XTR if the price is right.

Wow! That is encouraging. I'm interested in picking up an A-Minima or XTR if the price is right.

a similar package, without the lenses, sold on ebay for $6,100 last month. it included a few more things:

A-Minima Camera (S/N: 010) w/ Power Base (S/N: PB20) and integrated video tap (S/N: V5014)

(2) 250 Ft. Magazines (S/N: AM249; 025)

(4) 3V Lithium Batteries

i myself want to get a a-minima to play with, but waiting until i find one with a price makes that makes sense for me. the problem is that s16 is barely working these days, so to buy one of these would be a purchase of love, not business.

lennywood@mac.com

• 3 months later...

I just picked up a modified s16 LTR with 72fps capability, 2 zeiss primes, 2 XTR mags, video-tap, three batteries, adaptors, mattebox, all in a very neat and tidy flight case. 5500$

i would say for the a-minima you could range around the 12k w/ lenses. maybe it'll go for a bit more. it's cheap, but it's just going to drop more i'm afraid.

Edited by Eli Arenson