How to read recording formats of 720p and 1080i?

WaiHoong

Hi, I'm a student from Malaysia...here i would like to seek some information about camera.

1) Since malaysia uses pal- system(25fps)...does it mean i need to consider only cameras which support variable frame rates which include 25fps...or perhaps i could export into accurate fps in Final cut pro if the camera does not have 25fps?

2) i am confused about recording input and output... for example, some cameras can input 720p/25 and output the same ....but some are like 1080i/25 and output 1080/50i ...are they the same?

3) Examples: Are 720p/25 equals to 720/25p and 1080i/50 equals to 1080/50i? Are they the same just the matter of placing the 'p' and the 'i'?

4) finally, Are the terms 'frame per second' and 'hertz' equal to the 'p' and the 'i' in the Q3?....i saw a JVC prosumer camcorder that output 1080/60p ...does the 60p mean the fps and hertz and would not be supported in Pal-system?

I appreciate for those who are able to help me...Thanks a lot..

Basically, PAL used to be termed 25i, but with HD everyone now terms this as 50i.

If you see p and the frame rate it's progressive. For PAL countries you want 25p or 50p (although the latter can give a slow motion effect if you're shooting the production at 25p), the latter being used to shoot productions like sport where you don't want smoother motion.

People can be a bit loose about how they write things, but if you see an "i" it's interlace or a "p" it's progressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video