Best Affordable Film School...

Benjamin L

Hello,

I'm currently looking to go into cinematography as a great way to get into the film industry, or at least best fitting for me. There are many film schools that seem good, but very expensive. I don't live in California, so it obviously would cost me a large sum of money to get into many of those film schools.

Are there any really good film schools in California that would be more affordable? (I say California because I have heard that location has best.)

Someone told me that he went to SDSU in California, and it doesn't look to cost nearly as much, but it also looks a little lower in quality, and it would also be better to have other options, as it isn't at all definite that I could get into it. So are there any film schools that will really help me get into the film industry, and also be more affordable?

Thank You,

-Ben

• Premium Member

Who says you need film school? The other option is sink 20K or so into a camera system and some lighting and go out and work. Whether that works for you or not is up to you (personally I worked with my dad as a kid, then went to film school, and only at the very end of film school ever invested in any kit).

There are also very good schools in NY (Columbia, NYU come to mind) , here in Philadelphia I really liked my college, Temple University, and there's Columbia out in Chicago. California has a lot more, probably, but after all it's a big industry out there. There's also SCAD in South Carolina, and tech schools such as Full Sail.

SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) is in Georgia... In North Carolina there is UNC School of the Arts, which is very highly rated amongst undergrad film schools, and not too expensive either.

It would probably help to know where you are, so we can name some schools around you. There's also a member on here who's listed and given links to a fairly large amount of film schools listed by state. I'm sure he'll be responding soon ;)

Hello,

I'm currently looking to go into cinematography as a great way to get into the film industry, or at least best fitting for me. There are many film schools that seem good, but very expensive. I don't live in California, so it obviously would cost me a large sum of money to get into many of those film schools.

Are there any really good film schools in California that would be more affordable? (I say California because I have heard that location has best.)

Someone told me that he went to SDSU in California, and it doesn't look to cost nearly as much, but it also looks a little lower in quality, and it would also be better to have other options, as it isn't at all definite that I could get into it. So are there any film schools that will really help me get into the film industry, and also be more affordable?

Thank You,

-Ben

Hi Ben.

First know that no filmschool will really "help" you get into the film industry. While you might learn some theory and get to experiment in controlled situations, the degree won't mean anything when it comes to going out in the real world to build a career and make a living.

The number one thing that will "help" you get into the film industry is to understand exactly how it all works. Learn about all of the departments on set and off, what they really do, what their needs are, and how everyone works together. There are a couple of routes to becoming a DP. One is to start from the "bottom" and work up. Begin as a Loader and over time (years), move up the ranks until MAYBE you will have learned enough and have met the right people who will "let you" be a DP on their movie, TV show, or commercial.

Or, learn enough to get started (about lighting and camera) and just jump in and start shooting free and really low-budget productions. You'll learn as you go, trusting in your crew (Grip, Electric, Camera) until, hopefully, you'll have built up a good enough reputation and body of work that enables someone to trust you enough that they'll pay you to be a DP. This route will be very low income for quite some time as opposed to option one where you can likely start working for real money sooner than later.

This is just brushing the surface of what it will take you to build a career as a DP in the professional industry. I urge you to check out the links below (in my signature) for the book "What I Really Want to Do: On Set in Hollywood." Read chapters 1-5 first, then skip to the Camera Department section. Then move on to the rest of the chapters for a more complete picture of the industry and what you're getting yourself into.

When thinking about which formal education to get, keep in mind that the degree itself is meaningless for most below-the-line crew, including the DP. It's what you can do and who you know that makes the difference. So choosing a school that WILL teach A LOT about lighting in different situations and can offer bonuses, like Industry Speakers and "Set visits" so you can start seeing the theory being applied in real world situations.

For the most comprehensive list of filmschools available anywhere, visit http://www.realfilmcareer.com and click on the "Filmschools" link at the top.

Good luck!

The number one thing that will "help" you get into the film industry is to understand exactly how it all works. Learn about all of the departments on set and off, what they really do, what their needs are, and how everyone works together.

One has to seriously question these film schools and their ability to help students in any way. I base this on the high number of posters we get on this board who start a thread some thing like this:

"I just graduated from film school, what do I do now? How do I get work....."

You would think this would be covered for at least five minutes at a "film school."

R,

They're often too busy making one watch The Odessa Steps Sequence.

That's actually very funny! I can't count how many times I watched the damn thing.

Also, I don't think any of 'em have the magic formula for getting work :/

True enough, if there was a formula we'd all use it. But.......they could at least spend a week or two on this and hand out some practical real world advice. What am I saying? a university education is the opposite of "practical real world advice" never mind :blink:

R,

• Premium Member

You and me both. Odessa and Meshes of the Afternoon. To my school's benefit, they did try to teach you and really pushed you out there to get an internship, and a few of my classmates have gone on to work steadily (mostly in post) and a few others notably went on to shoot some pretty fantastic stuff. Then there's me who; well I just shoot and make pictures as best I can.

It have been nice if they offered career services with people who knew the film industry more. When I went in there and said I wanted to work at a rental house, they said ooh that's a new one does ABC have a rental house? Then I mentioned Panavision, to which they replied, what's Panavision...

I'm not trying to knock people for not knowing these things. I've been immersed in this for a long time that I don't know what is common knowledge and what is industry specific, it would be nice to see administrators who have had industry knowledge and not just the professors per say.

Bottom line is that the film industry can in no way absorb all of the new film school grads produced every year. I would be surprised if even 5% made it into the "industry" out of school each year. For every position there are 200 qualified applicants and this makes it so tough for new grads trying to get a foot hold.

From an investment point of view film school is a terrible idea. What you get in return for your time and money is usually very very little.

I can't believe how many dozens of resumes I have on file that list a four year film school. Followed by: Current Employer, Star Bucks.

I mean did this person really need a four year university degree to work at Star Bucks? Kind of silly isn't it?

Now of course this also happens to other majors as well, psych, English, history, etc, all have notorious reputations. I know a guy who's psych degree qualified him to work along side high school students filling popcorn and drink orders at the multi-plex.

Oh well, it's tough all around :lol:

R,

• Premium Member

As I write this, sitting in a Starbucks, I am at once thrilled and let down that a lot of "art" people work in 'em. On the one hand, they normally don't charge me for my coffee, on the other hand, as I often meet with people at this particular starbucks to talk 'bout shoots (it's actually a rather nice starbucks big comfy leather chairs, not too loud and just neighborhood people here; and the only thing open late at night aside from a pub) I can't help but notice how "evesdropped" on I am :/

Thanks Everybody. ^_^

I'm just wondering, if I don't go to film school, are you suggesting that I work my way into the industry right after graduating high school?

I mean, now a days so many people have a college education that it may actually seem very below average to just have a high school diploma. Now sure, I didn't expect film school to help me learn all too much helpful info. I also didn't expect it to be able to show off to producers...

I'm just saying, how do I start moving up that ladder with just a high school diploma?

Also, who here is in the proffessional industry? I won't look down on anyone who isn't, I would just feel more comfortable knowing where all of this is coming from.

Thanks to all of you. :)

-Ben

Also, who here is in the proffessional industry?

Every one is.

I won't look down on anyone who isn't, I would just feel more comfortable knowing where all of this is coming from.

But we won't look down on you. Even though we are professionals and you are not.

R,

Every one is.

But we won't look down on you. Even though we are professionals and you are not.

R,

I'm sorry, I should have worded that differently.

What I meant to say was, I won't take your advice as less valuable.

I hope it didn't come across the wrong way.

Thank You, you have all been very helpful. :D

-Ben

I went to a school in San Francisco called the San Francisco School of Digital Filmmaking. It was only a year long and pretty hands on, also by the end of it the school put all the students on a feature with a bunch of people who work in the bay area. It was sorta pricey, but you'll definitely come out of it with some real world experience. Worth a look...

Edited by Ryan Thomas

Thanks Ryan and Dan. :D

Okay,

It is now clear to me that I have come across the wrong way to some of you.

We all know that text can at times be less clear than actual talking. Therefore, I am often not good at sending the right message to people through simple text posts.

At first it was clear to me that you had taken offense, but I was not at all aware of why.

I didn't mean my message to put anybody down, and thought I had done a good job of making that clear. I realize now that I did not do a good job of wording it.

So for a short time I was uncertain as to how you could have read this to take it offensively. This is, of course, all my fault in not wording what I meant well. I now believe I understand.

When I posted asking,

"Also, who here is in the proffessional industry? I won't look down on anyone who isn't, I would just feel more comfortable knowing where all of this is coming from."

I think you took it as meaning that I wanted to know who was really trustworthy, and who I should simply disregard.

This is where I messed up in the clarity of my wording.

I meant it more as a question of curiousity. I meant it as a 'getting to know you' question, and at the time, was not aware that you were all professionals. I just wanted to get to know all of you better, and I did a terrible job of wording that. I did not mean it to come across this other way at all.

I am sorry that my meaning was so unclear .

It was, of course, my fault, that I did not better word it.

I deeply apologize for this.

I appreciate all of your understanding during this little misunderstanding of my poorly worded question.

Thank You,

-Ben

Get an intern job sweeping floors, anything at a grip, electric or camera rental facility.

Be humble, efficient, personable, observant, patient and intelligent.

That's some good advice - and there's nothing to say you can't do that straight from school, you can then decide if you want to go to uni maybe one, two or even three years latter or stick at it and work your way into production that way.

You can meet contacts that way and also meet people through local film-making communities.

This is not to discourage you from Univeristy which for me personally was the best years of my life, where I learned more important things about myself than just technical skills. However I understand in the US Uni is far more expensive and ultimately may not get you to where you want to go, though if a Uni is teaching what you really want to know then its hard to resist.

Another consideration is to get qualifications or experience in more practical skills that would make you 'useful' to possible film production employees, for example having experience driving heavy trucks and vehicles or getting an electrician's qualification would make you useful to lighting rental firms.

• Premium Member

Also there are almost always low budget shoots looking for Pas Interns in 'round larger cities, you can hop on 'em and work for a bit, it's not glamor or anything like that, but it's a meal and often a paycheck. I got lucky enough to do that before I could drive. College, in the US is great, but it's really not about what I learned in film school (not that I didn't learn a thing, I did). It was more so to learn to be more mature as a person, and to meet a great group of friends (who also do film) who I now work with when I work. Of course, you can do the same thing hanging 'round rental houses, film sets, anywhere and everywhere film is happening and helping out when you can. In fact, that's basically what you do in film school; though it's helping out other students and sometimes the odd professor.

We live in the era of Tarantino and Rodriguez, who advocate that film school is not necessary by any means. And they do have a point. Film school is expensive, and the industry itself does not care what your educational background is, it cares about what your experience is. Now, speaking as someone who has graduated from a four year university with a B.F.A. in film, and is currently attending graduate school for film, I would say that if you want to go to film school, you should definitely go. All these other guys who are telling you that you don't have to go to make it in the industry are absolutely right. There are many filmmakers who never went to film school and just jumped right in and learned by doing.

However, you really have to consider what kind of person you are. For me, I am the type of person who learns well in a classroom setting. I like to have someone who is a seasoned industry professional teach me about film theory, technique, convention, and structure. Then, after class, I go to the equipment room and check out a bunch of lighting (I have my own camera) and go make short films to put all the stuff I just learned to use. And I do that over and over and over.

The reality of the situation is this. You learn to be a good cinematography by spending years behind the camera. Literally, years. I reckon that if you asked Roger Deakins why he thought he is successful and I guarantee he'll say that he spent a ton of time working with cameras, lights, and making films instead of some innate talent that he has for cinematographer. Here's the thing: you don't need film school to spend hours behind the camera and on set with lights. Some people prefer to watch many movies, talk about them (like you do in film school), learn what good story structure is, learn how to tell good stories, learn how to light, operate cameras, shoot on film stock, and meet lots of people while in an environment where you're surrounded by like minded people. But the absolute bottom line is that you don't NEED film school.

So to reiterate, it comes down to the type of person you are. If you're 18 years old, I say go to a four year university. When I was 18 I thought I had the world figured out, and boy was I wrong. I'm not saying that you don't know if film is your passion or not, but I am saying that four years learning about film might or might not change your perspective and give you a new outlook on the future. I am EXTREMELY glad I got my B.F.A. in film. Though it was far less "hands on" production and a lot more theory, reading, writing, and critique, I have a great depth of knowledge about film history and film movements that ultimately I can draw upon in my own work. Many of the films I wouldn't have seen had I not gone to film school, such as Battleship Potemkin as others in this thread have mentioned (the Odessa steps sequence...which is awesome).

Think about who you are, how you learn, and what your work ethic is like. Then make the decision if you want to go to film school.