bolex aspheron

i just bought an aspheron lens 5.5mm and the preset switar 10mm lens in some auctions on ebay , to use with my rex5 . can anyone tell me a bit more about the lens, i have no background in film whatsoever and am starting from scratch.. things im keen to know are

A ) do i need any other kind of adaptor to fit it onto the 10mm switar ?

B) was £400 for both a good price? they seem in great condition

C) anyone here use one what are your thoughts?

thanks!

j

• Premium Member
A ) do i need any other kind of adaptor to fit it onto the 10mm switar ?

B) was £400 for both a good price? they seem in great condition

C) anyone here use one what are your thoughts?

Hi James,

nope. You just screw it on. The 10mm needs to be of the newer, non-waited type. But if it is a preset you're all set. If they are indeed in good condition that is an excellent price! Enjoy your lens! The 10mm is my favorite lens on my Bolex, I don't dig the 5.5 that much though as the vignetting is a little too much for me.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
thanks ! so why do you get the vignetting and i take it theres no way to eliminate that?

Nope, no way except for zooming into the footage a little in post. As for why I guess it's due to the design of the aspheron. It's a .55 wide angle adapter after all,which is quite bit of a change! And some wide-angles will have light fall-off into the corners no matter what. Many WAs for large format photography have that, the Super Angulons for example. You sue a center filter to cure that in photography though. And you'd loose around 1.5 stops with those.

Cheers, Dave