Bolx 35mm lens adpater and matching with ARRI SR2

Michael Jasen

Has anyone used a bolex 35mm lens adpater?

Are they normally available for rent anywhere? I've never used an adapter before and am being forced to shoot on a Bolex for some key scenes of a film.

ALso, the Bolex footage is going to be used in direct conjunction with footage from an ARRI SR2.

EG: The scene takes place inside of a car. The Bolex will be capturing the view from the car outside of the passenger window, where as the ARRI SR2 will shoot closeups of the driver.

Will there be any noticeable problems cutting this footage together? Im not sure about how good the registration is on the Bolex but the SR2 is flawless. Does this only rely on the registration abilities of the Bolex? Even if its perfect will there be a difference?

I plan on shooting tests but I was hoping for some opinions in the meantime.

-mike

Has anyone used a bolex 35mm lens adpater?

Are they normally available for rent anywhere? I've never used an adapter before and am being forced to shoot on a Bolex for some key scenes of a film.

ALso, the Bolex footage is going to be used in direct conjunction with footage from an ARRI SR2.

EG: The scene takes place inside of a car. The Bolex will be capturing the view from the car outside of the passenger window, where as the ARRI SR2 will shoot closeups of the driver.

Will there be any noticeable problems cutting this footage together? Im not sure about how good the registration is on the Bolex but the SR2 is flawless. Does this only rely on the registration abilities of the Bolex? Even if its perfect will there be a difference?

I plan on shooting tests but I was hoping for some opinions in the meantime.

-mike

Hi Mike,

Not sure which adapter you are refering to : still camera lens adapters (which mount)? 35mm Cine lenses (which mount)? There are lots of different adapters for the very common C-mount of the Bolex, and the picture quality should be good if the lens is decently made.

As for intercutting with the Arri, so long as the Bolex is in decent shape, registration should not be a problem. Your main concern will be that the lenses on the Bolex produce a similar image to those on the Arri. Since I don't know which you would use on either camera, it's hard to say more.

Then again, if you plan on transfering your footage to a digital format for cutting, color correction should be relatively easy and your shots should intercut ok... probably.

B.