M. David Mullen, DP of "Jennifer's Body"

Ben Brahem Ziryab

Hey folks

I just had one of the biggest chocks in my life this afternoon. Did you actually realize that our own moderator for this forum, M. David Mullen is the DP of Jennifer's Body's?

The cinematography on the film was really top-notch. The main thing in my mind when I leaving the cinema was actually the cinematography, but I didn't realize, until recently, that M. David Mullen was the cinematographer of the film.

He did some amazing things before, specially with "Nortfolk" and "Manure"...I also recalling myself buying "The Astronaut Farmer on dvd, just because I knew M. David Mullen had worked on it. But I don't believe he worked on such big mainstream movies before...

Must be a privilege to work with Megan Fox too...

Anyway,

What did you guys think of M. David Mullen's job on "Jennifer's Body"?

Edited by Ziryab Ben Brahem

• Premium Member

One of the perks of being a cinematographer is to get to photograph attractive women, of all ages. And of course, it makes my job easier that they are naturally photogenic. Though the truth is that I find Amanda Seyfried more compelling to watch on screen -- this movie was my third project with her, she's a wonderful person to work with, a dream to light, and she just gets better and better as an actress all the time. I don't want to get into a comparison game (though I just did...), just that I believe that Amanda has a great career ahead of her.

Megan is beautiful, of course, and she was a real professional on the set (on time, knew her lines, worked hard on the scene, etc.), which I appreciated. She is in control of her life, and a somewhat guarded, private person, which I also appreciate. I'm glad she's not one of these Hollywood wild party girl train-wrecks that you see all to often.

Geez, pretty high praise for Amanda Seyfried. I'm going to try to see this tomorrow night.

David, looking back at all the Hollywood starlets -- Grace Kelly, Bergman, etc -- if you could go back in time and DP any classic film with one of these leading ladies, who would it be? Any film in particular?

I totally agree about Amanda Seyfried. I've been interested in her for a while. Not necessarily because she gives the most amazing performances (even though I think she's great and seems like she'll only get better) but I really think she has an extremely engaging face, and instantly recognizable.

I can't wait to see her in Jennifer's Body as well as in that new Atom Egoyan movie, "Chloe".

Edited by Richard Vialet

• Premium Member
Geez, pretty high praise for Amanda Seyfried. I'm going to try to see this tomorrow night.

David, looking back at all the Hollywood starlets -- Grace Kelly, Bergman, etc -- if you could go back in time and DP any classic film with one of these leading ladies, who would it be? Any film in particular?

You kinda nailed it -- Grace Kelly in "Rear Window", Ingrid Bergman in "Casablanca", talk about some lovely close-ups...

Yeah, I think you would be hard pressed to find any DP who wouldn't love a chance to go back and shoot "Casablanca" with Bergman. Or "Notorious," for that matter.

Going back even further, I'd love to have DP'd "National Velvet" with Elizabeth Taylor. The color rendition is sort of odd with the versions I have seen, but aside from color, there were some interesting possibilities there. Her face was magic.

• Premium Member

Deborah Kerr in "Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" and "Black Narcissus"... Vivian Leigh in "Gone with the Wind". Maureen O'Hara in a number of John Ford movies.

I've always had a thing for women with classic, strong noses, like Irene Dunne (Sean Young had a similar look in "Blade Runner".)

The women in Igmar Bergman's movies were easy on the eyes, Bibi Andersson, Harriet Andersson, etc.

• Premium Member
Its not out in the UK yet, but when it is i will be the first one in, Seen the trailers and i love the shot of Megan Fox swimming in the lake. David, how were you able to get so close to the water without getting it drenched in water?

We had such an ambitious schedule that I had to give those lake shots to Karl Herrmann, our 2nd Unit DP, while I shot some other location that day with Amanda Seyfried and Johnny Simmons. Our general plan was to put a Technocrane on a floating camera barge so we could arm it out just above the water. But we had to build a long skinny tank just below the water's surface in order to heat the water for Megan, since it was April in Vancouver and the lake water was just above freezing. Even heated, the water wasn't particularly warm, maybe 70F degrees at the most. We built the tank in the lake near the shore. We created the high wide shot by compositing a wide shot of the lake with a high angle shot of Megan in the tank near shore, then reducing her element and pasting it into the wide shot of the lake.

Basically with the Technocrane, we were able to move parallel and in front of her with the camera. It may have had a Libra head on it. She wasn't splashing around and the water was calm, though I'm sure the camera was wrapped in plastic just in case.

If I had the chance to direct any leading lady currently working, it would be Nicole Kidman. I love her work and any star actress of any motion picture era, Lauren Bacall, OF COURSE Grace Kelly and Kate Hepburn, and those are just my TOP 3 picks. I do have to say both Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried both have long, distinguished careers ahead of them. I hope I will get the opportunity to work with both of the extraordinary women at some point in the future. :)

We had such an ambitious schedule that I had to give those lake shots to Karl Herrmann, our 2nd Unit DP, while I shot some other location that day with Amanda Seyfried and Johnny Simmons. Our general plan was to put a Technocrane on a floating camera barge so we could arm it out just above the water. But we had to build a long skinny tank just below the water's surface in order to heat the water for Megan, since it was April in Vancouver and the lake water was just above freezing. Even heated, the water wasn't particularly warm, maybe 70F degrees at the most. We built the tank in the lake near the shore. We created the high wide shot by compositing a wide shot of the lake with a high angle shot of Megan in the tank near shore, then reducing her element and pasting it into the wide shot of the lake.

Basically with the Technocrane, we were able to move parallel and in front of her with the camera. It may have had a Libra head on it. She wasn't splashing around and the water was calm, though I'm sure the camera was wrapped in plastic just in case.

Wow, very interesting. Was it really necessary to warm the water up!! Surely Megan could of lived with it, or didnt you want her shaking like crazy in the shot?

• Premium Member
Wow, very interesting. Was it really necessary to warm the water up!! Surely Megan could of lived with it, or didnt you want her shaking like crazy in the shot?

No, it's quite dangerous to spend hours in near freezing water -- it's not a question of "living with it".

• Premium Member
With you (and Karl) at work, the picture looking good is no surprise David.

What lake was that in the scene?

Was the whole picture in or around Vancouver (or just parts).

Cheers,

Dan

I don't remember the name of the lake, it had some sort of children's camp on one shore. Yes, the whole thing was shot in the Vancouver region.

David doesn't just shoot theatrical motion pictures. The series "The Good Wife" starring Julianna Margulies premiered last night. Rich warm tones and subtle diffusion really flattered the actresses. Ms. Margulies is in her mid-forties but looked great. The show had a real look to it unlike so much of the bland TV out there.

• 4 weeks later...