My reel

Veronica Burke

• Premium Member

Hey Veronica. In honesty, I think at this point in your life you're going about reels in the wrong way. Ignore excepts from projects (unless it's a really good project) and focus more on a montage. Try to move away from things you just did for school and push yourself and keep on shooting to form your style, ya know? Don't be afraid to go out and roll some neg stock on your own. Don't be afraid to let some things go way dark in the frame, and learn how to do some simple color grading in FCP or AVID. You'd be surprised how much better you can make footage look by just dropping down the black a bit etc. Don't feel too bad, either; my first shoots/reels were HORRIBLE. . . in fact....

http://www.archive.org/details/AdrianSierk...iInsideThoughts

and

http://www.archive.org/details/AdrianSierkowskiTheAgeofNow

ahh filmmaking assignments....

• Premium Member
You'd be surprised how much better you can make footage look by just dropping down the black a bit etc. Don't feel too bad, either; my first shoots/reels were HORRIBLE. . . in fact....

Adrian, I must confessed that the first reel I saw of yours years ago, I hated. Don't take this personally as you know I love you and you are my go to guy now. It's awesome to see someone grow so much as an artist in such a short amount of time...I guess we all do that.

Veronica, I'll critique you a bit. I didn't think your reel was bad but I agree with Adrian that you need to jazz up your reel. It needs to have an assortment of shots instead of long takes. Think of your reel like a movie trailer of sorts meant to sell your skills in much the same way a movie attempts to sell it's good points. Include dolly shots, exciting takes, gentle takes, any and every emotion you can muster. As a Director, these are the things I look for in a reel but take me for what I'm worth with isn't too much as the moment.

Also Veronica, I think your footage it a bit on the bright side in the first two and a little dark in the third. You may need to work on balancing your exposure a bit (I only watched the 16mm btw) on film. On the upside, I really like your framing and that goes along way for dialog heavy drama movies. Keep at it friend and market yourself as much as you can. I would recommend taking some freebies ASAP to build your reel. The sooner you get your reel built nicely, the sooner you can get some good paying jobs.

Regards,

Matthew

Pardon my typos as I've endulges in some Vodka this evening.

I just got out of school not to long ago, and I don't have my own camera yet so I haven't been able to find work or shoot anything myself, so what you see is all I've got right now. But thanks for the feedback :) Oh yeah and that one that looks really dark is supposed to be really dark. It's a night scene, and I was lucky enough to get some of Kodak's 7219 so I wanted to experiment and see how far under I could go. And it worked well enough, the assignment was to shoot a night scene, and mine was the only one in the class that looked like a night scene :) , but it is just a bit darker than I wanted.

• Premium Member

Well, if that's all you got then at least intercut those shots together into one reel and shorten the length you spend on each take. Making a reel takes as much talent as being a good DP and it's a different artform at that. Take what you got and make it as interesting as possible and even add dramatic music over it as well.

As far as the night shot, it just didn't look right to me. It looked too dark for day and too bright for night. If you don't want critique, don't put your reel up here. Not trying to be rude but some new folks on this forum are getting trying this morning.