xl/nikon adapter

Hi all, i'm a newbie of this forum, but i find it great for almost everything i need for cinematography (I'm studying it on my own)..

Doubt: I've got a Canon XL1s, great camera even if i'ts old, and i don't want to get rid of it for now. I also have a DLSR with D-movie (nikon D90), but have to shoot a short movie with a lot of action and camera movement, and I am quite obliged to use the XL1s. So I asked my self: can i use Nikon lenses on my Xl1s? It would be great (thinking to my Nikon 50mm f1,8 and 35mm f2..), and i found this XL to Nikon adapter on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-Adapter-CANON-XL-t...#ht_1166wt_1165

The main bug could be the 7x magnification factor, so i ask to you: does this factor mean that my 50mm lens acts as a 50x7=350mm!?

If so, is the adapter a good choise to improve the quality of my work?

Edited by Leopoldo Caggiano

Hi all, i'm a newbie of this forum, but i find it great for almost everything i need for cinematography (I'm studying it on my own)..

Doubt: I've got a Canon XL1s, great camera even if i'ts old, and i don't want to get rid of it for now. I also have a DLSR with D-movie (nikon D90), but have to shoot a short movie with a lot of action and camera movement, and I am quite obliged to use the XL1s. So I asked my self: can i use Nikon lenses on my Xl1s? It would be great (thinking to my Nikon 50mm f1,8 and 35mm f2..), and i found this XL to Nikon adapter on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-Adapter-CANON-XL-t...#ht_1166wt_1165

The main bug could be the 7x magnification factor, so i ask to you: does this factor mean that my 50mm lens acts as a 50x7=350mm!?

If so, is the adapter a good choise to improve the quality of my work?

Yes it does mean it'll be the equivalent of 350mm, that's why these adapters have been well-liked by wildlife cameramen wanting long telephoto reach. If you want your 50mm to behave like a 50mm you'll need one of the relay adapters that use a ground glass - search for Letus, Brevis, pro35 etc. Pricey options though.

Steve

Yes it does mean it'll be the equivalent of 350mm, that's why these adapters have been well-liked by wildlife cameramen wanting long telephoto reach. If you want your 50mm to behave like a 50mm you'll need one of the relay adapters that use a ground glass - search for Letus, Brevis, pro35 etc. Pricey options though.

Steve

Thanks a lot for your help Steve.

I heard bad stories about using adapters with ground glass, but i'm not very keen on them... is there any topic about, in this forum? or, if not, could someone tell me his thoughs about them, how they work or some experience had with?

Thanks a lot for your help Steve.

I heard bad stories about using adapters with ground glass, but i'm not very keen on them... is there any topic about, in this forum? or, if not, could someone tell me his thoughs about them, how they work or some experience had with?

Just do a search for the Letus etc I mentioned, either on this site eg http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?sh...02&hl=letus or Google or other forums - dvinfo, dvxuser, dvdoctor. You'll get loads and loads of info and opinions.

Steve

How does this adaptor provide the 7x magnification!?

From the picture it doesn't seem to contain any optics?

love

Freya

Imagine you have a print 6x4" of a bird filling about 1/4 of the frame, if you then cut 2" from each side and 1" from top and bottom the bird would fill the frame, that's what's happening when you use a smaller sensor, it's cropping the image.

Steve

Imagine you have a print 6x4" of a bird filling about 1/4 of the frame, if you then cut 2" from each side and 1" from top and bottom the bird would fill the frame, that's what's happening when you use a smaller sensor, it's cropping the image.

Steve

so i actually have to put the camera far from the scene to have the same image composition of a 50mm used on the DLSR... with all the consequences on depth of field... right?

uhm.. i'll think about it...

• 3 weeks later...