Nikon glass on the 5D MkII

Andy_Alderslade

Hi everyone,

Been asked a few questions on this and I just don't have the background knowledge to know the pitfalls of using Nikon primes on the Canon MkII.

I know its been done a lot and I know there is an adapter from Nikon mount to Canon Eos but I have a few nagging questions,

1) Firstly, is the adapter compatible with the majority of Nikon photo lenses out there?

2) I've heard that the lever for automatic iris opening and closing for shots/viewing on the Nikon lenses gets in the way of the adapter and has to be removed, is this true of all lenses and adapters?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Cheers,

Andy

• Premium Member
Hi everyone,

Been asked a few questions on this and I just don't have the background knowledge to know the pitfalls of using Nikon primes on the Canon MkII.

I know its been done a lot and I know there is an adapter from Nikon mount to Canon Eos but I have a few nagging questions,

1) Firstly, is the adapter compatible with the majority of Nikon photo lenses out there?

2) I've heard that the lever for automatic iris opening and closing for shots/viewing on the Nikon lenses gets in the way of the adapter and has to be removed, is this true of all lenses and adapters?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

The old manual lenses will work. No idea about the clever modern ones.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

1) yes - but not modern G lenses that are electronic interface - they can by controlled by adapters from 16-9.net (or a bit of card wedging the aperture lever open - not very pro method)

2) not true but some lenses have a little sticky out thing to protect the rear element - famously the 50 1.2 manual - this can be filed off without affecting the function of the lens

Some uber wides 8mm for example only work on nikons with the mirror locked up - no worky on canon (although I donts see why you cant lock the mirror then put the lens on but you are F'd if you lower the mirror some how b4 you remove the lens)

in summary 90% of nikon manual primes are absolutely better than fine

I have, 80-200, 50 1.4, 14, 20-35 400 etc - all great

S

2) not true but some lenses have a little sticky out thing to protect the rear element - famously the 50 1.2 manual - this can be filed off without affecting the function of the lens

Some uber wides 8mm for example only work on nikons with the mirror locked up - no worky on canon (although I donts see why you cant lock the mirror then put the lens on but you are F'd if you lower the mirror some how b4 you remove the lens)

in summary 90% of nikon manual primes are absolutely better than fine

I have, 80-200, 50 1.4, 14, 20-35 400 etc - all great

S

Thanks Sam, you've cleared it for me - so there is some truth to it, but in most cases there should be no problem.

Cheers,

Andy

I use a series of Nikon AIS lenses on the 5d MkII with one of those adaptors with no problems.

The lenses stop down to the set aperture when focusing so the image can get quite dark in the viewfinder/LCD screen.

The images look great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

so my newer nikons will work on a 5D Mkii? I have a 24mm / 2.8, a 50mm / 1.4, an 85mm /1.8 and an 80-200m / 2.8 nikkors that I've recently purchased and wanted to make sure they'd work with an adaptor without issues.

so my newer nikons will work on a 5D Mkii? I have a 24mm / 2.8, a 50mm / 1.4, an 85mm /1.8 and an 80-200m / 2.8 nikkors that I've recently purchased and wanted to make sure they'd work with an adaptor without issues.

this depends on the model - if they are G lenses - no proper aperture ring - then you need the complex expensive 16-9 adapters

if you have an aperture ring you are fine on cheapy adapters

S

• 2 weeks later...

The AI manual focus nikkors work quite well with the canon 5D mk2. Some lenses do indeed have a half circle flange that protects the rear element that will hit the mirror - look out for the 24mm, the 20mm and possibly others. The nikkor 85mm f 1.4 is a great lens for low light shooting, and the 85mm 1.8 isn't bad, either. I like the f2.8 24mm and the f1.4 35mm, quite a bit. As with 35mm motion picture, the nikkon 300mm f 2.8 is a great lens, too.

Some eos to nikon F adapters are better than others, and some lenses that still have "ears" for coupling with non-AI bodies may have to have the ears removed to fit fully. Novoflex makes the most expensive - I won't say the best - but the most professional adapter. The way that the adapter locks onto the nikkors, however leads one to the conclusion that putting adapters onto each lens is the best way to work, and that steers you towards buying hong kong adapters (less than ten dollars each) and also getting some canon rear caps so they lenses can travel and store at the ready. There will be some quality control issues with the cheap adapters - you may want to order a few extra, or try more than one brand to see which you like the best. I've had good luck with Bogens, but YMMV.

Working in low light is where this camera out preforms others, but the caveat is that the sensor and lenses are more sensitive and faster, etc than the camera's ability to allow you to monitor critical focus, so if you think you have a sharp image, don't count on it until you review the shot in full HD on a good sized monitor.