bleach bypass

Chris Lange

Hello,

I'm looking to try bleach bypass for the first time. Do you know of any labs that specialize in that sort of thing? Or do all labs work with you in trying to bleach bypass your film based on notes and desired look?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Chris

Hello,

I'm looking to try bleach bypass for the first time. Do you know of any labs that specialize in that sort of thing? Or do all labs work with you in trying to bleach bypass your film based on notes and desired look?

Chris

Chris,

I would recommend fotokem in L.A.. They're affordable priced and will work with you throughout this process. Bleach bypass is an amazing processing method and if you don't like the look you can always bleach your film and get it back to "normal". Good luck.

Chris,

I would recommend fotokem in L.A.. They're affordable priced and will work with you throughout this process. Bleach bypass is an amazing processing method and if you don't like the look you can always bleach your film and get it back to "normal". Good luck.

Thanks man! I'll check it out.

Texture. That is one vital component that cannot be duplicated in the digital intermediate. Bleach Bypass gives the footage a wonderful

grain texture that cannot be faked. For good examples of this watch the movies "Lost Souls" and "Munich". The negative was bleach

bypassed on certain sections of these films. Bleach bypassing the negative has a very disctintive look that is slightly different from

a intermediate or print film bypass. FOTOKEM is a great lab offering that technique. DELUXE in LA offers ACE and CCE bleach bypass.

ACE is the process that allows controlled levels of bypass. CCE is a higher contrast look.

Texture. That is one vital component that cannot be duplicated in the digital intermediate. Bleach Bypass gives the footage a wonderful

grain texture that cannot be faked. For good examples of this watch the movies "Lost Souls" and "Munich". The negative was bleach

bypassed on certain sections of these films. Bleach bypassing the negative has a very disctintive look that is slightly different from

a intermediate or print film bypass. FOTOKEM is a great lab offering that technique. DELUXE in LA offers ACE and CCE bleach bypass.

ACE is the process that allows controlled levels of bypass. CCE is a higher contrast look.

Agreed. Look at the "CSI" shows, in HD to see how the fake grain does *not* work, at least not for someone with discerning eyes.

"Minority Report" I think is a negative bleach bypass that I really like the look of. Missed it in theatres, but saw it on TNT HD the other day and it really looks incredible.

if you don't like the look you can always bleach your film and get it back to "normal".

Here we go again. True, but think it through. Most people will follow the advice to underexpose by at least a stop to compensate for the massive increase in negative density (as well as contrast) that bleach bypass gives you. (You end up with a silver image superimposed on the colour dye image).

So if you re-process the film (you need to bleach AND fix and wash etc), certainly you will remove the silver, and get, in effect, a noramlly processed negative. And it will be a stop underexposed.

Usually you go for bleach bypass to get more contrast, bright whites and deep blacks. If you underexpose and end up normally processing, you get lower thannormal contrast and thin grey blacks.

The moral of this: test, test, test. Then don't change your mind.

Hello,

Chris

Try Movielab in Rockville, MD. good people, good lab.

no extra charge for skip bleach or cross-processing.

• Premium Member
If you're doing a digital intermediate couldn't you give the film the look of a bleach by-pass? Wouldn't that be cheaper as well?

We had an MOW once on which some material that was supposed to be bleach bypass was accidentally shot and processed normally. The colorist was able to match it to the real bleach bypass stuff. Nobody could tell the difference.

-- J.S.