Thoughts on the Zeiss 11-110 S16mm PL mount zoom

I'm prepping a shoot for a short film using the SI-2K... our budget is smaller so I was thinking of saving money and going for a zoom.

Any thoughts on the ZEISS 11-110 T2.2 PL S16mm zoom lens? To be honest, I've sworn off zoom lenses for photography and cinematography for the last three years. Zooms are not my forte, so I'm curious if anyone has had findings with the performance.

The other reason I'm leaning toward a zoom is because I can't seem to find a 100mm S16 PL mount zeiss prime... All the rental places seem to only carry up to a 50mm.

Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

The lens is sharp but breathes rather badly.

To fill out the lens set take a 100mm designed for 35mm, it will work fine.

Stephen

I'm prepping a shoot for a short film using the SI-2K... our budget is smaller so I was thinking of saving money and going for a zoom.

Any thoughts on the ZEISS 11-110 T2.2 PL S16mm zoom lens? To be honest, I've sworn off zoom lenses for photography and cinematography for the last three years. Zooms are not my forte, so I'm curious if anyone has had findings with the performance.

The other reason I'm leaning toward a zoom is because I can't seem to find a 100mm S16 PL mount zeiss prime... All the rental places seem to only carry up to a 50mm.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

I own a very nice 11-110. I used it for several years on my Aaton Aminima and now use it on my RED camera. This lens was $17,500 brand new back in the day and still sells for around 9 used. One of the best 2K zooms you can get. Are you looking to rent or buy?

I own a very nice 11-110. I used it for several years on my Aaton Aminima and now use it on my RED camera. This lens was $17,500 brand new back in the day and still sells for around 9 used. One of the best 2K zooms you can get. Are you looking to rent or buy?

Rent. I'm trying to line up the SI-2K on my next production, but dislike those tiny C-mount lenses. Otto Nemenz has a pretty nice price of $150/day. I don't mind the breathing as much, since the shoot will not require lots of focus pulls. It's good to hear that the lens is sharp! I think I'm sold on it. The primes would be nice, but I think for once, a zoom is a better choice.

Rent. I'm trying to line up the SI-2K on my next production, but dislike those tiny C-mount lenses. Otto Nemenz has a pretty nice price of $150/day. I don't mind the breathing as much, since the shoot will not require lots of focus pulls. It's good to hear that the lens is sharp! I think I'm sold on it. The primes would be nice, but I think for once, a zoom is a better choice.

Last question... I just got word that I could get a 10-100 f/2 Zeiss S16 lens or 12-120 f/2.4 Zeiss S16 lens for free. I'm pretty sure those where the ones and I wonder how those zooms compare to the 11-110 f2.2...

I'll be doing some lens tests in the upcoming weeks, but any advice would be highly considered.

Thanks again.

• Premium Member
Last question... I just got word that I could get a 10-100 f/2 Zeiss S16 lens or 12-120 f/2.4 Zeiss S16 lens for free. I'm pretty sure those where the ones and I wonder how those zooms compare to the 11-110 f2.2...

I'll be doing some lens tests in the upcoming weeks, but any advice would be highly considered.

Thanks again.

The classic 10-100 is 16mm the 12-120 is probably a converted 10-100. Very sharp lenses

The classic 10-100 is 16mm the 12-120 is probably a converted 10-100. Very sharp lenses

Stephen is right, probably the 12-120 os a former 10-100 with an Optex conversion. Indeed, the lens is sharp and yes, breathing is an issue too. My personal experience is, that there is some loss of contrast if working wide open. Anybody agrees with that?

I have been shooting with the ziess 11.5-115 modified t-3.0 zoom. I have compared it to my SWITAR POE 16-100 t-1.9 zoom.

The switar POE is one of the most UNDERRATED zooms ever. It is sharper than my zeiss lens, and it is a 1.9.

I use this lens on my si2k mini. If I need primes, I have a 16, 50mm LINOS 1.8, and Schneider 25 and 50mm 0.95. Fantastic lenses. Slightly soft when at 0.95, but versatile, and I find the image to resolve less blue grain on the schneider lenses.

I also use the 10mm switar prime which is also great, however colimated for my bolex so a little soft when wide open.

My camera package is available for rental. Info and production stills from using the si2k mini:

www.framediscreet.blogspot.com

http://framediscreet.com/super8mmrentals.htm

Recent short shot on the switar zoom:

(temp grading applied, not the final look)

Best!

• 3 years later...

I have been shooting with the ziess 11.5-115 modified t-3.0 zoom. I have compared it to my SWITAR POE 16-100 t-1.9 zoom.

The switar POE is one of the most UNDERRATED zooms ever. It is sharper than my zeiss lens, and it is a 1.9.

I use this lens on my si2k mini. If I need primes, I have a 16, 50mm LINOS 1.8, and Schneider 25 and 50mm 0.95. Fantastic lenses. Slightly soft when at 0.95, but versatile, and I find the image to resolve less blue grain on the schneider lenses.

I also use the 10mm switar prime which is also great, however colimated for my bolex so a little soft when wide open.

My camera package is available for rental. Info and production stills from using the si2k mini:

www.framediscreet.blogspot.com

http://framediscreet.com/super8mmrentals.htm

Recent short shot on the switar zoom:

(temp grading applied, not the final look)

Best!

Hello Justin.

Good I found this post of you from 4 years ago.

I own a Kern Vario 16-100 POE and I'm considering convert it to PL mount to use with my BMCCP...

I was thinking to invest a large sum and buy a Zeiss 11-110 myself, but seeing your post and the video footage, I'm quite impressed with our results.

I agree is a very underrated lens. I have used it on a 16mm film and the result was very good although I got only dailies, so no best light, and was shot on a Bolex.

Anyway, do you have any more footage to share? We could exchange some info regarding the lens. I'll shoot a doc soon, so will need to update my knowledge on this baby.

Thanks,

Flavio