First camera, HD, Shooting action sports

Andrew Pajak

I am totally new to the forum so I am sorry if this is a repeat of previous posts. I am getting into cinematography and want to do action sports videos and would like to shoot in hd. It is my first camera and i have had a bunch of people say to go with a professional grade and other have said that a hd camera consumer camera. I have been looking at used hd cameras and i would like some imput on 1080p grade cameras. thanks

• Premium Member

What is your budget? (how much are you considering spending on a camera?)

Also, depending on your location, you may be able to first rent a variety of cameras relatively inexpensively to help decide which is most appropriate to buy for your budget & application.

Or, as a result of renting a "perfect" cam, you may decide to continue renting it on an as-needed basis (until a better one comes along), and not buy a camera for a long time, or at all.

Actually there is one consumer camera called the Sanyo HD2000 that shoots 1080p at 60 frames per second. This camera is very good for shooting fast action sports. The reason that you may want to consider a professional camera is that you have all of the professional controls that are simply not available on a consumer camera so you will be in a better position to learn the trade. However most professional cameras only support the 720p format at 60 frames per second but you of course will have available to you the primo glass so the overall image of professional 720p will be comparable to consumer 1080p. If you want to wait until next year the Red Scarlet will be available that can shoot 1500p at 120 frames per second. NFL films shoots 16mm film at 120 frames per second so having a digital camera with these capabilities would be essential.

• 1 month later...