What is the difference?

anroop mri

Hello everybody,can u please tell me the difference between 8mm,16mm,35mm and 65mm cameras and what do they do?and can u also please tell me visually wht difference it makes by usage of different formats,and if am shooting for the first time on film which format is best for me

thank you

Hello everybody,can u please tell me the difference between 8mm,16mm,35mm and 65mm cameras and what do they do?and can u also please tell me visually wht difference it makes by usage of different formats,and if am shooting for the first time on film which format is best for me

thank you

Whoa. You may have better luck elsewhere in the forum... unless you're looking to pay for answers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hey thank you very much,u r truly a genius

You won't get many answers here if you're just going to be a smartass.

You listed the film gauges in order from smallest to largest. That also means you listed them in order from the lowest resolution and cheapest to the greatest resolution and most expensive.

8mm and super 8 were never professional formats so "real" production cameras and accessories don't really exist. They're your Dad's home movie camera.

16mm and super 16 were amateur formats that became useful professional formats in the 60s. Now there are fine cameras made for S16 and it has a very convenient resolution to transfer to HD.

35mm and 65mm are and have always been professional formats. 35mm is the standard for most movie production. 65mm isn't used all that much. It has loads of resolution and is gorgeous, but very few productions are willing to pay for it.

If you're shooting for the first time, I would suggest you get comfortable shooting film stills. That will teach you a lot of the basics that are common to both stills and motion pictures. After that (or if you're already well versed in shooting stills), 8mm is a nice format to experiment with. Making a film on 16mm and beyond get too expensive for individuals who aren't independently wealthy.

• Premium Member
8mm and super 8 were never professional formats so "real" production cameras and accessories don't really exist. They're your Dad's home movie camera.

Chris, I normally don't argue with you because there isn't much point really but this time I'm going to get involved.

Check up about the Beaulieu 9008 Pro 16:9. If this isn't a professional camera, I don't know what is. I GUARANTEE that your dad didn't have this just lying around for home movies. At the price of this thing, it is more than most 16mm film school cameras (K3, CP-16, Bolex R5, etc.) It has everything I would assume a pro could use...variable frame rates, interchangable lens mount, crystal sync, many accessories available for it, even a Beaulieu 200' film magazine that can mount to it which allows you to shoot 10 minutes @ 24fps.

• Premium Member

thank you

In general, the larger the film format, the more detailed and finer-grained the image is. The smaller the format is, the softer and grainier it tends to be. Larger formats tend to be more expensive to shoot as well.

If you are a first-time shooter, you'll probably be using a smaller, cheaper format.

• Premium Member
Chris, I normally don't argue with you because there isn't much point really but this time I'm going to get involved.

Check up about the Beaulieu 9008 Pro 16:9. If this isn't a professional camera, I don't know what is. I GUARANTEE that your dad didn't have this just lying around for home movies. At the price of this thing, it is more than most 16mm film school cameras (K3, CP-16, Bolex R5, etc.) It has everything I would assume a pro could use...variable frame rates, interchangable lens mount, crystal sync, many accessories available for it, even a Beaulieu 200' film magazine that can mount to it which allows you to shoot 10 minutes @ 24fps.

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that about the best you could expect out of a super 8 camera was manual exposure.

If this isn't a professional camera, I don't know what is.

I'm not sure what "professional means here: after all, 16mm was designed as an amateur format, though it's been used for TV work and much else besides for half a century. But while we are on the subject of professional, I notice this thread was started by

anroop mri

Group: Basic Members

Member No.: 43197

Director of Photography

Can anyone say what qualifies anyone to be called a "Director of Photography"?

This is a serious question, not a smartarse criticism (well, mostly :blink: )

• Premium Member
I'm not sure what "professional means here: after all, 16mm was designed as an amateur format, though it's been used for TV work and much else besides for half a century.

I'm not sure it even matters what professional means as that sounds like an elitist term used to discourage those without money or access to "top notch" gear.

I'm sure that some sort of money making (which is the point of professional after all, isn't it?) product has been made on anything from Super 8 - 65mm film and even 8mm video too I'm sure. Therefore, all formats have the potential to be professional even if not widely in use.

I'm not sure it even matters what professional means as that sounds like an elitist term used to discourage those without money or access to "top notch" gear.

I always think of it more along the terms of "If you aren't serious, then don't bother showing up."

God knows we've all met our fair share of delusional crazies in this industry <_<

You are right about 8mm video making money. Wasn't that what all the color "Blair Witch" was shot on? Speaking of that film, looks like this new "Paranormal Activity" or whatever its called is basically another reincarnation of the same thing.

But money is definitely a part of making a movie. Even $15,000 (sorry, I am not in the mood to convert today, as the USD is doing depressingly bad against the Euro and £) is a significant amount of money, which is what this latest "Blair Witch" knock-off cost.

I am sure it is possible to make a movie for $500, but I'd say, in general, the likelihood of commercial success is inversely proportional to your budget. So the less money your project has, the more fantastic a script and incredible a cast you are going to need. As depressing as it is to say this, good cinematography seems like it can only help your movie's trailer and, as a result, its opening week.

Edited by Karl Borowski

• Premium Member
I am sure it is possible to make a movie for $500, but I'd say, in general, the likelihood of commercial success is inversely proportional to your budget. So the less money your project has, the more fantastic a script and incredible a cast you are going to need. As depressing as it is to say this, good cinematography seems like it can only help your movie's trailer and, as a result, its opening week.

I wasn't aware that Blair Witch had good acting? :o

Overall though, you're right. Money helps to cover up imperfections. A cheap movie has to be perfect, normally, for commericial success.

• Site Sponsor
hey thank you very much,u r truly a genius

At least smart enough to know to post my questions in the "Questions and Answers" section of the site and not the "Classifieds" or "Buy and Sell things" section.... If that is what passes for genius these days then I guess I'll take it, kind of sad though.

-Rob-

• 1 month later...