New Paramount Pictures movie Paranormal Activity

Guest Ronney Ross

Cloverfield had the same aesthetic and story telling device (found camcorder footage), it also had studio support from the get-go. I think can think of a few others, but I'm not sure how well they've done financially.

Well Cloverfield "borrowed" the technique but it had a massive budget compared to the others I mentioned. The VFX budget on Clovefield alone must have been multi-millions of course.

If any one else has an idea for an 11K "camcorder" movie please pitch it to me, I'll make it!! :D

R,

I got one, I'll PM you about it. B)

I'm waiting where is it? Rent is due come on let's go.

If you do have said idea, you don't need my 11K, any one can put that on VISA :blink:

R,

Yes I agree, as I said in an earlier post there is no statistical relevance to the success of PA.

That said, I'm cheesed off with myself for not thinking of this movie first! :D

I wouldn't say the public loves the "camcorder aesthetic so much?". There have only been three movies now made with this technique that have gone huge, PA, Blairwitch, and Open Water. Unless I'm missing some?

It is still fascinating though that a Hollywood outsider can make a movie for 11K that beats all of the Hollywood fare at the box office and opens at number one over the weekend. That is really quite amazing.

R,

I was thinking the same thing. Why didn't I think of that? Horror is my forte (One of my horror scripts is a Screamfest 2009 semifinalist). I'm pretty sure if I did think of an idea like PA, I would've rejected it for several reasons. The biggest one being I prefer traditional classical moviemaking and stories.

It seems most of these microbudget 'movies' that break through have some sort of 'gimmick' about them.

While there may not be too many 'camcorder aesthetic movies' out there widely distributed in theaters, there are quite a few more obscure low budget ones made years before PA (and even Blair Witch).

Let's not forget, the countless 'paranormal' shows on TV that have almost the same aesthetic. To be honest, I thought it was a tired aesthetic. That's another reason, I wouldn't have pursued it, but obviously I know nothing about the market. I guess I've seen way too many horror movies (both micro and studio level) and shows, but I guess what I think is 'tired' may be 'fresh' to a new generation and I think that's what we have with PA.

I remember back in 1991 or 1992 renting a video about aliens terrorizing a family during a birthday party. It was 'classified government footage'. I think it was called UFO Abduction. It was for the most part done with a camcorder in a very convincing manner. When I saw Blair Witch, I was reminded of this. Now I'm reminded again of it and it's interesting how ahead of their time the makers of these early 'found footage movies' were.

I guess I'm too old school which is probably why I'll never break through.

• Premium Member
Cloverfield had the same aesthetic and story telling device (found camcorder footage), it also had studio support from the get-go. I think can think of a few others, but I'm not sure how well they've done financially.

Quarantine was one.

It seems most of these microbudget 'movies' that break through have some sort of 'gimmick' about them.

That's nothing new, think the master of the gimmick, William Castle, along with Russ Myer's buxom casts and to a certain extent the films of Rodger Corman. It's a time honored tradition that if you have no cash, you have to get creative and a gimmick can be just as effective in creating box office returns as a great plot. Speaking of which, I recently saw Matinee which was a fun picture. John Goodman's character was obviously a tribute to Castle. :D