How to apply for IATSE Local 669 camera trainee program in Vancouver?!

Hi there

I'm moving from Montreal to Vancouver, to try it out there. I want to take the camera trainee program that IATSE provides. But on their website there's not much info, and I haven't got an answer on my email yet.

Also they say the only accept applicant's in Manitoba and Saskatchewan? Don't get it? Vancouver is one of the hot spots for film making, why don't they have a camera trainee course there?

Please fill me in. Also look here

http://www.ia669.com/index.php?option=com_...5&Itemid=27

Thanks! :lol:

Allan

Hi there

I'm moving from Montreal to Vancouver, to try it out there. I want to take the camera trainee program that IATSE provides. But on their website there's not much info, and I haven't got an answer on my email yet.

Also they say the only accept applicant's in Manitoba and Saskatchewan? Don't get it? Vancouver is one of the hot spots for film making, why don't they have a camera trainee course there?

Please fill me in. Also look here

http://www.ia669.com/index.php?option=com_...5&Itemid=27

Thanks! :lol:

Allan

Hey Allan,

669 periodically closes its trainee program. Every few years (or when its really busy in town) they invite about 15 trainees and after the program the union places them on a show rotation. That way you can get introduced to different camera crews and gain lots of different camera experience. But because the system is so involved and the Vancouver industry can only support/give work to so many people they make it so that they only open it up when there is work available for those trainees on union shows after the initial training. A lot of people that join the trainee program have experience on non-union shows as a 2nd AC. I applied once after film school and was rejected... But a few of my class mates got in and are working as DIT's, 2nd AC's, and 1st AC's on union shows.

• 1 month later...
Hey Allan,

669 periodically closes its trainee program. Every few years (or when its really busy in town) they invite about 15 trainees and after the program the union places them on a show rotation. That way you can get introduced to different camera crews and gain lots of different camera experience. But because the system is so involved and the Vancouver industry can only support/give work to so many people they make it so that they only open it up when there is work available for those trainees on union shows after the initial training. A lot of people that join the trainee program have experience on non-union shows as a 2nd AC. I applied once after film school and was rejected... But a few of my class mates got in and are working as DIT's, 2nd AC's, and 1st AC's on union shows.

I know this may be bit late but...

Vancouver Industry is very, very slow at the moment, so I would seriously do your job research before up and moving there. I would think you would be better off in Montreal to be honest. Either there or Toronto, where a lost of projects are moving due to there new and rather kick ass tax credit system. The Vancouver union tends to open up to trainees about once every 2 or 3 years at the best of times. Their last opening was last fall (08).