Errors

Rob Vogt

About to go to Day 2 of a music video I'm shooting on the RED one Build 20.

A couple of times we got a record error and then it said something about SATA connections. It's been a long days shoot and I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what it said. It seemed to just go away on its own either after doing the shot again or after rebooting. I'm just wondering if any of you guys know what the problem was so I could possibly avoid it tomorrow.

A couple of times we got a record error and then it said something about SATA connections. It's been a long days shoot and I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what it said. It seemed to just go away on its own either after doing the shot again or after rebooting. I'm just wondering if any of you guys know what the problem was so I could possibly avoid it tomorrow.

I believe it may have something to do with a bad hard drive cable. I have come across an error like that before on my RED, but it's always just worked either after just pressing the record button again or restarting the camera, so it may not be a cable issue but just a firmware issue.

Matthew

• Premium Member

Rob, where did you get your camera/drives from? I had that problem both days on a video I was doing last week and it was a major bummer. We tried differen drive cables, no luck, and deemed it was the drives' problems - especially when we were doing over-cranking... Let me know, because it's a really annoying problem.

I got the error message again today, it was "SATA Trans Fault"

The problem became a little more annoying today because when moving locations we shut the camera down only to have it not reboot at the next location. After swapping batteries about 4 times and disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable it decided to start working for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if the problems were related. We were using the Anton Bower 2 battery setup.

The camera was from NYFA, I was helping the director whom I've worked with before, he told me the school had recently purchased this camera over the summer.

All in all it wasn't that bad, we still finished on schedule thanks to our great crew.

• Premium Member

My understanding is that the "SATA TRANS ERROR" message is a result of either the drive cable, the drive itself, or both. Red has been getting a lot of complaints since Build 20 about this and suggest that you send in both the cable and the drive for service if you get this error repeatedly.

From what Jim Jannard has said, the reason this has appeared since Build 20 is that the camera is now recognizing errors and reporting them, whereas in previous builds it would have continued to record until the error caused the camera to reboot without warning. So the error message is just a warning that something went wrong in the recording. You can always roll back to a previous build if you want to avoid the error message, but you are still just as likely to have recording errors, only you can expect the camera to reboot instead of just stopping the roll.

I have to admit, when it happens it is frustrating and embarrassing as an AC - bottom line is that the cable and drive need to be sent back to Red ASAP.

My understanding is that the "SATA TRANS ERROR" message is a result of either the drive cable, the drive itself, or both. Red has been getting a lot of complaints since Build 20 about this and suggest that you send in both the cable and the drive for service if you get this error repeatedly.

From what Jim Jannard has said, the reason this has appeared since Build 20 is that the camera is now recognizing errors and reporting them, whereas in previous builds it would have continued to record until the error caused the camera to reboot without warning. So the error message is just a warning that something went wrong in the recording. You can always roll back to a previous build if you want to avoid the error message, but you are still just as likely to have recording errors, only you can expect the camera to reboot instead of just stopping the roll.

I have to admit, when it happens it is frustrating and embarrassing as an AC - bottom line is that the cable and drive need to be sent back to Red ASAP.

It means you have a RED-DRIVE that needs updating, as it's generating SATA bus errors.

If you can't send the RED-DRIVE back immediately, you should update to Build 21.

Jim